Satisfy your inner chocoholic with one of these too-cute Malteser Bunny Chocolate Cupcakes. Quick, easy and absolutely delicious!
Oh my gosh! If you love Malteser bunnies, I promise you that these these chocolate cupcakes are going to blow your sugar-filled mind (they certainly blew mine!). So after lots of serious research, I’ve definitely decided that Malteser bunnies are my favourite Easter chocolate treat. Turkish Delight mini eggs, Caramello eggs, Lindt bunnies and Crunchie eggs are all up there too (hey, I never said I was picky), but Malteser bunnies definitely take the cake… so to speak!
To make these Malteser Bunny Chocolate Cupcakes, I used my favourite cupcake recipe. It’s the easiest thing ever and is totally fool-proof. It’s my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. If you like moist, dense, delicious chocolate cupcakes, this is the recipe for you! They also take no time at all to whip up, which is perfect (especially if you’d rather be watching the new season of Revenge or reading a trashy magazine… umm yes!!).
To make your Malteser Bunny Chocolate Cupcakes look super cute, slice the top off each cupcake so you have a nice flat base to work from. You can totally eat those delicious little tops as you decorate by the way. Use a knife to spread a little chocolate frosting over the top of each cupcake. Then using a piping bag (I used a 1M Wilton tip – but any is fine), pipe more chocolate frosting onto the top. If you’re not that keen on piping (don’t worry, neither am I!), here’s a great little tutorial. Sprinkle a teensy bit of crushed up Malteser bunny on top of the frosting and then add a mini Malteser bunny to the centre. Easy! This is such a great way to make Easter cupcakes, especially if you’re not 100% confident with piping, as the crushed Malteser bunnies hide any little mistakes. If you really hate piping, then you can just spread the frosting over the top with a knife instead – too easy!
These Malteser Bunny Chocolate Cupcakes really are a chocoholics dream. Not only do you have a rich chocolate cupcake as the base, but there’s also the yummiest, creamiest chocolate frosting on top. AND a mini Malteser bunny. AND crushed up Malteser bunnies. Ahhhh… does life get any better than that?
What’s your favourite Easter chocolate?
Get the eBook via instant download and then save to your computer, tablet, phone or iBooks. If you’d prefer a hard copy, all of our eBooks print to an easy-to-read A4 size.
Malteser Bunny Chocolate Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 125 g butter softened
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11/4 cups self raising flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ⅔ cup milk
- For the frosting:
- 220 g dark chocolate
- 230 g butter solftened
- 1 1/2 tbs milk
- 170 g icing sugar
- 12 mini Malteser bunnies
- 4 large Malteser bunnies crushed
Preheat oven to 170°C.
Line 12 muffin holes with patty paper or cupcake holders.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
Alternate folding through the sifted flour and cocoa with the milk until combined.
Spoon the mixture into the patty paper lined muffin pans.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked when tested.
Leave in the pan to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
Carefully slice the tops of the cupcakes off so that you have a nice flat surface.
To make the frosting, beat the butter using electric beaters or a stand mixer until creamy and pale in colour.
Slowly pour in the milk and beat well.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler on the stovetop (or in the microwave for 3 minutes on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds with a metal spoon).
Add the chocolate and beat well.
Slowly add the icing sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
Spread a small amount of chocolate frosting over the entire top of the cupcake.
Using a piping bag, pipe extra chocolate frosting onto the cupcake (I used the Wilton 1M tip but any is fine).
Sprinkle crushed up Malteser bunny over the top of the frosting.
Stand a mini Malteser bunny in the centre of each cupcake.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Malteser Bunny Chocolate Cupcakes – Thermomix Instructions:
For the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Line 12 muffin holes with patty paper or cupcake holders.
3. Melt the butter on 60 degrees, 2 minutes, Speed 4.
4. Add all of the other ingredients and mix for 30 seconds on Speed 5.
6. Spoon the mixture into the patty paper lined muffin pans.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked when tested.
8. Leave in the pan to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Carefully slice the tops of the cupcakes off so that you have a nice flat surface.
For the frosting:
1. Grate chocolate for 3 seconds on Speed 8.
2. Scrape the sides of the bowl and melt on 50 degrees, for 3 minutes, Speed 1 (or until melted).
3. Add butter and icing sugar.
4. Leave the MC off and whip for 10 seconds on Speed 5.
5. Check the frosting and if it’s a little too hard, add 1 tablespoon of milk and mix for another 10 seconds on Speed 5.
6. Spread a small amount of chocolate frosting over the entire top of the cupcake.
7. Using a piping bag, pipe extra chocolate frosting onto the cupcake (I used the Wilton 1M tip but any is fine).
8. Sprinkle crushed up Malteser bunny over the top of the frosting.
9. Stand a mini Malteser bunny in the centre of each cupcake.
10. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.