This Slow Cooker Roast Beef is the perfect winter dinner... one pot, plenty of vegetables and moist pull-apart roast beef that melts in your mouth.
This post is in partnership with Blackmores
When it comes to easy and family-friendly meals, slow cooker recipes are always a winner... with everything from Slow Cooker Roast Chicken to Slow Cooker Italian Beef Ragu Pasta and hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup (the perfect cold and flu buster!), there's so many delicious slow cooker dinners to fall in love with!
- beef chuck roast (or beef brisket)
- olive oil, salt and pepper to season the roast
- onion, garlic, Italian herbs and beef stock
- plain flour, to thicken
- a mixture of roast vegetables (carrots, celery, potatoes)
*scroll down to the recipe card below for quantities and method
Sear The Beef For Maximum Flavour
To get that amazing beef flavour, you'll need to sear the beef in a frying pan before popping it into the slow cooker. I like to sear it for around 8-10 minutes on the highest possible heat so that you get a dark crust forming (this gives it an incredible amount of flavour and also locks in the moisture). Searing the beef is optional... but highly recommended for maximum flavour and texture.
A One Pot Slow Cooker Roast Beef Dinner With Vegetables
When I make this recipe, I tend to just throw in any vegetables I have lying around (usually carrots, celery and potatoes). You can put all of the vegetables in the slow cooker for the entire cooking time (which I do if I'm going to be out all day), and this will give you very soft, fall-apart vegetables. But if you're going to be home for a last couple of hours of the cooking time, I'd recommend popping the potatoes in with 3-4 hours to go (as this keeps them a bit firmer).
Cooking a roast beef in the oven vs a slow cooker
For years I avoided cooking roast beef in the oven because it would always turn out dry (plus I'd need to be home while it was cooking). But cooking a roast beef in the slow cooker totally avoids both of those problems! It's absolutely faultless and you end up with the most delicious melt-in-your-mouth roast beef. I would never, ever go back to cooking beef roasts in the oven... not when it's so easy (and yummy) in the slow cooker.
How Long Do You Cook A Roast Beef In The Slow Cooker For?
If you're after a really easy recipe, then you've come to the right place! This classic recipe is cooked in the slow cooker for 8 hours (so you know the meat is going to absolutely delicious), plus you can add lots of vegetables to make it a simple one pot dinner.
What Makes Slow Cooker Roast Beef So Good?
- it's a super easy midweek meal... pop it on in the morning and dinner will be ready and waiting for you!
- it's packed full of nutritious vegetables - winner!
- slow cooking the beef will keep it deliciously tender
- red meat is a great source of Vitamin B which helps to reduce stress
- it's a one-pot family dinner... so there's hardly any washing up!
More Simple Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Ragu Pasta
- Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 kg beef chuck roast
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 onion diced
- 4 tsp minced garlic (or 4 garlic cloves minced)
- 4 carrots roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 4 large potatoes peeled and quartered
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 tbs Italian herbs parsley, oregano, rosemary etc, chopped
- 4 cups liquid beef stock
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large frying pan.
- Season the beef chuck roast with salt and pepper and place into the pan. Cook on high heat for 8-10 minutes or until a dark crust has formed over the outside.
- Place the beef into the slow cooker.
- Cook the onion and garlic in the frying pan over medium-low heat until translucent. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery and potatoes (see note).
- Mix the plain flour and Italian herbs with 1 cup of the liquid beef stock and pour into the slow cooker. Add the remaining 3 cups of stock.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.