Our healthy slow cooker roast chicken & vegetables recipe is the perfect mid-week family meal (includes tips for getting a crispy skin!).
Love the idea of popping a roast chicken on in the morning and having delicious pull-apart meat waiting for you at dinnertime? This is the recipe for you!
A One-Pot Slow Cooker (Crockpot) Dinner
The thing I love about this recipe is that it’s all cooked in the one-pot. There’s no need for braising… just pop the vegetables and chicken in and switch it on. So simple!
I like to cook my vegetables in the slow cooker with the chicken (it’s just such a simple family dinner), but if you prefer crispy roast vegetables, then you can always cook the chicken in the slow cooker on it’s own and cook your vegetables separately.
Cooking Vegetables With A Roast Chicken In A Slow Cooker
In this recipe, I’ve used some classic roast vegetables (potatoes, carrots and red onion), but you can use absolutely any vegetables you like (parsnip, sweet potato, capsicum, swede are all great options too).
Cook On LOW For 8 Hours Or HIGH For 5 Hours
If you’re heading out for the day, you can cook this chicken on low for 8 hours, but if you’re running a bit short on time, you can cook it on high for 5 hours.
This is a very forgiving recipe, so don’t worry if you cook it a bit longer (just make sure you cut your vegetables into quite large chunks so they don’t go too mushy!).
How To Get A Crispy Skin On Your Slow Cooker Roast Chicken
You can serve the roast chicken directly from the slow cooker and have the most delicious melt-in-your-mouth meat. BUT! If you’d also like a crispy skin, simply remove the lid after the slow cooking time is finished, brush the chicken with olive oil and place the crockpot into the oven under the grill/broiler for 5-10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
More Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes
Who doesn’t love a yummy slow cooker dinner? Here’s a few of my favourite recipes…
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Slow Cooker Roast Chicken & Vegetables
- 1 whole chicken approx 4 pounds or 1.8 kilograms
- 4 red potatoes chopped into large
- 2 large carrots chopped into large pieces
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Chop the vegetables and place around the outside edge of the slow cooker.
- Add the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Dry the chicken with paper towel and ensure that any giblets have been removed from inside the chicken.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables (breast side up).
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil.
- Make the seasoning by adding all ingredients to a small bowl and mixing to combine. Sprinkle over the chicken and rub in gently.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7-8 hours (see recipe notes for getting a crispy skin).