A healthy, juicy and moist Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and vegetables recipe cooked entirely in the slow cooker!
It couldn't be easier to cook a whole chicken in a crock pot - just set and forget.
This nutritious and filling family dinner is perfect for busy weeknights.
Follow my simple tips for getting a delicious crispy skin!
My slow cooker gets a work out all year round... in winter it's perfect for cooking a comforting roast lamb, fall-apart shanks or a nutritious flavour-packed Mexican soup, and in summer it's perfect for pulled pork burgers and simple creamy Tuscan chicken pasta.
And my slow cooker roast chicken is perfect for absolutely anytime of the year! Simply, pop the whole chicken and roast vegetables on in the morning and have delicious pull-apart meat waiting for you at dinnertime!
Why You're Going To Love This Recipe
Who can resist a classic, juicy roast chicken with all the trimmings!?
- Quick & Easy - forget about standing by the oven checking on your roast chicken... my simple crock pot recipe requires just 20 minutes prep time and then you simply set and forget until dinnertime.
- Healthy & Nutritious - packed full of vegetables and cooked with only a small amount of olive oil, this roast dinner is both filling and healthy.
- One Pot Recipe - there's no need to be doing lots of dishes - this entire recipe is cooked in just the one pot (slow cooker).
- Family-Friendly - this Slow Cooker Roast Chicken recipe is an all-time favourite with kids through to adults. Plus the leftovers make delicious sandwich fillings the next day!
What You Need
This is such a versatile and budget-friendly recipe:
- Whole Chicken - use a regular whole chicken (approximately 2 kilograms or 4 pounds)
- Vegetables - you can use any vegetables you like: potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnip, sweet potato, capsicum or swede. Firm vegetables tend to be best as they hold together once cooked. Vegetables like pumpkin can still be used however, note that they will soften and break apart.
- Herbs - I like to use fresh rosemary and thyme sprigs which give the roast chicken a classic flavour.
- Seasoning Rub - my slow cooker roast chicken is made even more delicious with the addition of a seasoning rub made from paprika, Italian herbs, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Such an easy dish to prepare, set and forget!
- Slow Cooker or Crock Pot - pop everything in and the flavours will blend deliciously as the vegetables and chicken cook slowly together.
Step By Step Instructions
It couldn't be easier to prepare and cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker! Here's how...
Step 1 - Add The Vegetables
Chop the vegetables into large chunks and place into the base of the slow cooker.
Step 2 - Add The Fresh Herbs
Place the sprigs of rosemary and thyme on top of the vegetables.
Step 3 - Prepare The Chicken
Rub the chicken dry with paper towel. Ensure that any giblets have been removed from the inside of the chicken.
Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
Step 4 - Make The Seasoning Rub
Drizzle the chicken with olive oil.
In a small bowl, mix the seasoning ingredients together, sprinkle over the roast chicken and rub in gently.
Step 5 - Slow Cook
Cover the pot with the lid and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 5 hours.
Step 6 - OPTIONAL Crispy Skin
If you'd like a crispy skinned chicken, simply cook the whole chicken in the slow cooker as per the recipe. After the cooking time, remove the lid, brush the chicken with olive oil and place the crockpot dish into the oven on grill/broil for 5-10 minutes or until crispy.
Whole Chicken With Vegetables In A Crock Pot
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it's all cooked in the one-pot. There's no need for braising the chicken first... simply pop the vegetables and whole chicken in to the crock pot and turn it on. So simple!
TIP: I like to cook my vegetables in the slow cooker with the chicken to make it a one-pot wonder, but if you prefer crispy roast vegetables, then you can always cook the chicken in the slow cooker on it's own and roast your vegetables in the oven separately.
Which Vegetables Work Best In The Slow Cooker?
In this recipe, I've used classic roast vegetables (potatoes, carrots and red onion), but you can use absolutely any vegetables you like (parsnip, sweet potato, capsicum, swede are all great options too). Pumpkin can certainly be used as well, however it will soften and break down more that these firmer vegetables.
The vegetables also keep the roast chicken up and out of any liquid at the bottom of the slow cooker - allowing it to cook into a juicy and tender roast chicken without turning to soup!
Expert Tips & FAQs
The larger you chop your vegetables, the firmer they will stay. I like to chop my vegetables into large chunks so that they hold their shape and don't go mushy when cooked. If you like, you can always add softer vegetables (like capsicum and sweet potato) halfway through cooking.
This is an optional step for those who love a crispy-skin on their chicken! Simply remove the lid after the slow cooking time is finished, brush the chicken with olive oil and place the crockpot into the oven under the grill/broiler for 5-10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Absolutely not! For food health and safety reasons it is very important NOT to wash chicken before you cook it as it increases the risk of food poisoning. Simply remove any giblets from the inside of the chicken (if it hasn't already been done by the butcher or grocer), pat dry with paper towel, drizzle with olive oil and rub in the homemade seasoning.
Yes - simply preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan-forced) and cook for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 180 degrees and cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature in the thickest part of the chicken is at least 75 degrees celsius.
The slow cooker is perfect for making family-friendly, comforting and nutritious meals. Here's a few more of my favourites:
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Slow Cooker Roast Chicken & Vegetables
- 1 whole chicken approx 4 pounds or 2 kilograms
- 4 red potatoes chopped into large pieces
- 2 large carrots chopped into large pieces
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Chop the vegetables and place into the base of the slow cooker.
- Add the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Dry the chicken with paper towel and ensure that any giblets have been removed from inside the chicken.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables (breast side up).
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil.
- Make the seasoning by adding all ingredients to a small bowl and mixing to combine. Sprinkle over the chicken and rub in gently.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7-8 hours (see recipe notes for getting a crispy skin).
- Vegetable Options - in this recipe I used some classic roast vegetables (potatoes, carrots and red onion), but you can use any vegetables you like (parsnip, sweet potato, capsicum, swede are all great options too).
- Firm vs Soft Vegetables - the vegetables will cook quite soft in the slow cooker. If you'd like them to stay a little firmer, cut them into larger chunks. You can also add softer vegetables such as capsicum and carrot partway through the cooking time.
- Cooking Time - this recipe can be cooked on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours. However, it's a very forgiving recipe, so it won't matter if it's cooked a little longer.
- Crispy Skin (Optional) - if you'd like a crispy skin on your chicken, cook it as per the recipe in the slow cooker. After the cooking time has finished, remove the lid, brush the chicken with olive oil and place the crockpot into the oven on grill/broil for 5-10 minutes.