This flavour-packed Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup is the ultimate comfort food… a tomato, bean, corn and chicken soup served with sour cream, avocado and corn chips!
I’ve called it a soup, but it’s really much more like an entire main meal. There’s so much delicious chicken, beans, corn and tomatoes going on in there, that you don’t feel like you’re eating a soup at all. Yep, this is one hearty flavoursome meal. And it’s definitely a winner on a cold winters night.
Slow cooker Mexican chicken soup
For me, Mexican food just isn’t the same without a big dollop of sour cream and chunky avocado on top. It really takes this slow cooker Mexican chicken soup to a whole new level of yumminess. Oh and you know what’s even better…. a whole heap of corn chips on the side too. And if you like a bit of heat, add some chilli powder to the soup while it’s cooking.
Easy weeknight dinner
The best thing about this soup is that you just pop everything into the crockpot and then leave it to do it’s thing for a few hours. Just before serving, take the chicken out and shred it into pieces, pop it back in, give it all a stir and then serve it up. This is one of our favourite midweek dinners… especially on busy nights!
Flavour packed Mexican soup
Forget about full and boring soups, this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup packs a massive flavour punch thanks to the enchilada sauce (or salsa) and the taco seasoning. YUM!
More healthy winter soup recipes
Nothing beats a bowl of hearty, comforting soup! Check out a few more of my favourite recipes here.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
- 350 g chicken breasts
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 400 g black beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g diced tomatoes canned
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 300 g enchilada sauce or salsa
- 2 cups chicken stock liquid
- 30 g taco seasoning
- sour cream, avocado and corn chips, to serve
- Place the chicken, chopped onion, garlic, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn and enchilada sauce (or salsa) into the slow cooker.
- Mix the taco seasoning packet mix into the chicken stock.
- Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low and then remove and shred the chicken.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir.
- Leave for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, chopped avocado and corn chips.
This recipe has been modified and adapted from Gimme Some Oven’s original Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe.