This flavour-packed Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup is the ultimate healthy comfort food… a tomato, bean, corn and chicken soup served with sour cream, avocado and corn chips! Set it, forget it and come home to a delicious soup ready to enjoy!
Low Carb Mexican Chicken Soup
Forget about boring soups… this soup packs a massive flavour punch thanks to the enchilada sauce and the taco seasoning. Plus it’s a great low carb option with only 257 calories per serve!
I love that this soup is packed full of healthy vegetables and protein-rich chicken…
- chicken breasts
- black beans
- tin diced tomatoes
- enchilada sauce
- liquid chicken stock
- taco seasoning
… plus sour cream, tortilla/corn chips and avocado slices to serve!
Easy Weeknight Dinner – 5 Minutes Prep Time
The best thing about this slow cooker soup is that you just pop everything into the crockpot and then leave it to do it’s thing for a few hours (there’s no need to braise the chicken – just pop the raw chicken breasts straight into the pot!). This is one of our favourite midweek dinners… especially on busy nights!
Step 1 – Place the chicken, chopped onion, garlic, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn and enchilada sauce (or salsa) into the slow cooker
Step 2 – Mix the taco seasoning packet mix into the chicken stock and pour into the slow cooker
Step 3 – Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low and then remove and shred the chicken
Step 4 – Serve with sour cream, corn/tortilla chips, and avocado
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
We all LOVE a delicious slow cooker soup during winter. Here’s a few of my favourite recipes:
- Slow Cooker Pea & Ham Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham Bone Soup with Beans
What type of chicken should I use?
You can use either chicken breasts or chicken thigh fillets for this recipe (I generally use chicken breasts as they’re easier to shred).
How long will it last in the fridge?
This soup should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and consumed within 2 days.
Can you freeze the soup?
This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
Can I make this vegetarian?
Absolutely! Just leave omit the chicken breasts for a healthy low carb and vegetarian soup.
How many calories in a serving?
Served on it’s own (without the optional extra toppings), a large bowl of this soup is 257 calories.
What should I serve the soup with?
All your Mexican favourite toppings!!! Sour cream, slices of avocado and tortilla/corn chips. If you like a spicy kick, you can also add a pinch of chilli powder to the soup while it’s cooking!
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
- 350 g chicken breasts
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 400 g black beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g diced tomatoes canned
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 300 g enchilada sauce or salsa
- 2 cups chicken stock liquid
- 30 g taco seasoning
- sour cream, avocado and corn chips, to serve optional
- Place the chicken, chopped onion, garlic, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn and enchilada sauce (or salsa) into the slow cooker.
- Mix the taco seasoning packet mix into the chicken stock. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low and then remove and shred the chicken.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir.
- Leave for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, chopped avocado and corn chips (optional).
This recipe has been modified and adapted from Gimme Some Oven’s original Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe.