Make a batch of homemade 4 ingredient salted caramel sauce in just 15 minutes and without the need for a sugar thermometer! Follow our simple step-by-step instructions.
Our easy homemade caramel sauce is the perfect recipe to drizzle over your favourite dessert, cake or bowl of ice-cream! Our foolproof sauce is ready in just a few minutes and can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce Ingredients
*Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for ingredient quantities and the full method
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar (dark brown sugar or light brown sugar are both fine to use)
- thickened cream or double cream (not light cream)
- pinch of salt
Tips For The Stove Top Method
Make the perfect sweet sauce with our easy stove top tips:
- use unsalted butter as this allows you to adjust the saltiness of the sauce as you like
- allow the butter to melt slowly over a low/medium heat
- increase the heat to medium and add the cream and brown sugar
- continue to stir until the sugar has completely dissolved
- add a pinch of salt until it's the flavour you desire
- you can omit the salt entirely if you like
- stir regularly while the sauce simmers
Tips For The Thermomix Method
The Thermomix method for our homemade caramel involves just 1 step! Here's some tips for making perfect sauce in your Thermomix.
- cook for 6 minutes for a thin and runnier caramel sauce
- cook for 9 minutes for a thicker caramel sauce
- note that the caramel sauce will continue to thicken upon cooling
- cook the sauce with the MC lid off
Salted Caramel Sauce Serving Suggestions
There are so many delicious ways to use our homemade caramel sauce recipe. Here's a few of our favourites:
- drizzled over chocolate cake
- poured over ice-cream
- drizzled over raspberry & apple crumble cake
- in a salted caramel hot chocolate
- in a salted caramel milkshake or cocktail
- drizzled over an apple pie
- poured over a warm chocolate brownie
- made into salted caramel frosting
- drizzled over a sticky date pudding
- drizzled over apple crumble
How To Store Homemade Caramel Sauce
Store our homemade sauce in a sterilised jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Warm it up slightly before using (*as it sets hard in the fridge). Alternatively, you can freeze the sauce for up to 3 months.
More Salted Caramel Recipes
If you love salted caramel (and let's face it... who doesn't!?) then you're going to love this collection of salted caramel recipes. From cheesecake to mud cake, brownies to slices, frosting and more!
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
How To Make Salted Caramel Sauce
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 250 g brown sugar
- 125 g thickened or double cream see notes
- ¼ tsp salt see notes
- Place the butter into a saucepan over a low heat. Allow it to slowly melt, while stirring occasionally.
- When the butter has completely melted, add the brown sugar and the cream.
- Increase the temperature to medium. Stir occasionally until the sugar has all dissolved.
- Add the salt and give it a quick taste - add extra salt if required (be careful - it will be hot!).
- Stir occasionally until the sauce begins to gently simmer and then allow to simmer for 2 minutes (still giving it the occasional stir). Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Store in a sterilised jar for up to 2 weeks.
- Place all ingredients into the Thermomix bowl. Cook on Varoma, Speed 2 for 6 minutes with the MC off (cook for a further 3 minutes if you'd like your sauce to be thicker).