A healthy Creamy Chicken & Vegetable Soup made with absolutely no-cream! The perfect cold and flu fighting soup during winter…
Who ever said that a creamy soup couldn’t be healthy?? This creamy chicken and vegetable soup recipe blows that idea out of the water! Packed full of delicious vegetables and chicken in the creamiest soup base… but it’s made without any cream at all!!!
Ingredients for a creamy chicken and vegetable soup
- olive oil and butter – for sautéing
- vegetables – I used carrot, celery, capsicum, onion, leek, corn and baby spinach but you can use absolutely any other vegetables you like
- chicken – grab a cooked BBQ chicken from the supermarket and you’re all set! Otherwise, you can use any cooked chicken breast or thighs that have been shredded/chopped
- flavourings – garlic, thyme, salt and pepper
- soup base – liquid chicken stock and milk
- plain flour – to thicken the soup
- croutons (optional) – for serving
Healthy Creamy Chicken & Vegetable Soup Recipe
Step 1 – Saute the vegetables
Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan and saute the vegetables for a few minutes or until softened.
Step 2 – Thicken with plain flour
The trick to getting the consistency of this soup nice and thick (without using cream), is to coat the sautéed vegetables in plain flour and allowing it to cook for 1 minute before slowly adding the liquid.
Step 3 – Add the cooked chicken
One of the best things about this soup recipe is that you can save yourself SO much time by using a cooked BBQ chicken from the supermarket. You can of course, cook your own chicken (breast, thighs or tenderloins) or use up some leftovers that you have in the fridge.
Step 4 – Simmer for 20 minutes
Add the liquid chicken stock, milk and corn kernels and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes.
Step 5 – Add the garnishing and serve
Stir through the baby spinach, season with salt and pepper and serve with crunchy croutons.
How to make a creamy soup without using cream
Whether you’re conscious of calories or just don’t like cream, you don’t need to miss out on deliciously hearty, creamy winter soups!
- coat the sautéed vegetables with plain flour and allow to cook for 1 minute (don’t worry if the plain flour sticks to the bottom of the saucepan) – this step will help the soup to thicken
- add just a small amount of liquid chicken stock to start – you want the flour-coated vegetables to soak up the liquid and slowly dissolve the flour. Add a little bit more and once all of the flour has dissolved, add the remaining liquid chicken stock and milk
- you can use either full fat milk or light milk in this recipe – both are delicious!
How to store homemade chicken soup
As much as I love a fresh batch of soup, I feel like it always tastes even better reheated the next day!
Store the cooked soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat properly before consuming.
If you would like to store the soup longer than 2 days, freeze for up to 3 months and then reheat thoroughly before serving.
More healthy winter soup recipes
Creamy Chicken & Vegetable Soup
- 50 g butter
- 30 g olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 leek diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery sticks diced
- 1 red capsicum diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 75 g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 3 cups chicken stock liquid
- 3 cups milk
- 200 g cooked chicken shredded - see notes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 100 g baby spinach
- salt and pepper, to season
- 100 g croutons to serve, optional
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion, leek and minced garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery, red capsicum and thyme and saute for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the plain flour and mix to coat. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of the chicken stock liquid and stir until the flour has dissolved into the broth.
- Add the remaining chicken stock liquid, milk, cooked (shredded) chicken and corn kernels. Bring the soup to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir through the baby spinach, season with salt and pepper and serve with croutons.