Looking for a healthy version of Honey Almond Slice? Then look no further! This fresh new take on a classic favourite is absolutely delicious!
This post is in collaboration with Flora.
When I was little we had an amazing bakery in my hometown and sometimes for a treat on a Saturday morning, Mum would go and buy a couple of slices for our morning tea. My two absolute favourites were Caramel Slice and Honey Almond Slice. I can still remember how good they were! The bakery still sells both of the slices and they are just as yummy as ever, but my only grumble is that over time the pieces have got smaller and smaller and the price bigger and bigger! And anyway, nowadays I would much rather bake my own slices and know exactly what is going in it!
If I’m being honest, I also know that part of the reason I loved the Honey Almond Slice so much was because it was super buttery and delicious… but not exactly healthy (which is absolutely fine when you’re a kid and can eat anything – not so good when you’re older and the buttery goodness goes straight to your hips!). And so I set out to make a healthier version of Honey Almond Slice using Flora Pro-Activ spread. I used the ‘Light’ spread which has 50% less fat than butter – which according to my advanced mathematical calculations simply means you can eat twice as much!!
In order to healthify the slice a little more I cut back on the sugar and used almond meal, flaked almonds and honey as the main ingredients. And the verdict…. you seriously wouldn’t even know that it was a healthy version! This Honey Almond Slice tastes just as scrumptious as my favourite bakery version and yet I’m feeling a whole lot less guilty about eating it!
Happy baking! xx
Are you a slice lovin’ gal too? Check out my collection of my favourite traditional slice recipes here!
Honey and Almond Slice
- 65 g Flora spread melted (or any margarine or butter)
- ¼ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- ⅔ cup plain flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 80 g Flora spread or any margarine or butter
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Grease and line a 25cm slice pan.
- In a large bowl, combine 65g melted Flora spread, brown sugar, plain flour and almond meal.
- Press into slice pan and bake for 12 minutes until light brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the almond topping by combining the remaining 80g butter and honey in a small saucepan and gently simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir through the flaked almonds and spread the warm topping evenly over the base.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool, slice into squares and serve.