Make the perfect Apple & Sour Cream Slice using this classic recipe. A sweet cake-like base and a tangy sour cream, apple and cinnamon top layer. YUM!
Argh! Every now and then I could swear that I’ve put a recipe on the blog and then when I go to search for it, I realise that I haven’t. This is one of those slices! I can’t believe that it’s taken me this long to put up a recipe for Apple & Sour Cream Slice. Seriously, what is wrong with me!?
I’m sure by now you know that I’m a girl that loves my sugar. Unfortunately you won’t be seeing me ‘quit sugar’ anytime soon. But! This is a great recipe for those of you who who don’t necessarily have as huge a sweet tooth as I do (if you are a sugarholic though, don’t worry, you’ll still love this slice!). The two layers complement each other perfectly as the tangy sour cream and apple top layer balances out the sweet, cake-like base of the bottom layer. Add to that a good shake of cinnamon on top and you have one ridiculously yummy (and not too sweet!) slice.
You can sprinkle plain cinnamon over the top, or, if you like the sweeter things in life, try using cinnamon sugar instead (a little warning: that stuff is addictive!). If you’re wanting to lighten things up a little, then you can always use light sour cream. It’s best to make this slice ahead of time and then pop it into the fridge for a few hours to cool completely. The longer you leave it, the easier it will be to cut into slices.
I’ve never met anyone who hasn’t liked this Apple & Sour Cream Slice and it seriously is just a really, really yummy little thing to make!
Apple & Sour Cream Slice
- 125 g butter melted
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- 65 g desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 250 g sour cream
- 2 apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 if using a fan forced oven).
Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
Place the melted butter, caster sugar, coconut and vanilla essence into a medium sized bowl.
Sift over the self raising flour.
Use electric beaters to beat the mixture until smooth and creamy.
Press mixture into the tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
Take the slice out of the oven and layer the thinly sliced apple over the top.
In a bowl, beat the sour cream and eggs together until well combined.
Pour the sour cream mixture over the top of the apple.
Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top (or cinnamon sugar).
Place back into the oven for another 20 minutes or until the sour cream has set in.
Leave to cool before placing into the fridge to cool completely.
Cut into slices when completely cold.
Apple & Sour Cream Slice – Thermomix Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 if using a fan forced oven).
2. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
3. Place the butter into the TM bowl and melt on Speed 3, 60 degrees for 2 minutes.
4. Add in the caster sugar, coconut, self raising flour and vanilla essence and mix on Speed 3 for 30 seconds (scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed).
5. Press mixture into the tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
6. Take the slice out of the oven and layer the thinly sliced apple over the top.
7. Place the sour cream and eggs into the TM bowl and mix on Speed 4 for 30 seconds.
8. Pour the sour cream mixture over the top of the apple.
9. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top (or cinnamon sugar).
10. Place back into the oven for another 20 minutes or until the sour cream has set in.
11. Leave to cool before placing into the fridge to cool completely.
12. Cut into slices when completely cold.