A simple classic chocolate crackles recipe made with rice bubbles, cocoa, icing sugar, coconut and copha… a kids party food favourite!
Classic chocolate crackles were an absolute staple at kids birthday parties when I was growing up… and they’ve certainly made quite the comeback (or maybe they never went away!!). Either way, they’re delicious, they’re super simple to make and kids LOVE them!
What you need to make chocolate crackles:
Just 5 ingredients!!
- rice bubbles (or any puffed rice)
- icing sugar
- desiccated coconut
- cocoa powder
- copha (vegetable fat shortening)
Copha substitutes in chocolate crackles
I often get asked if there’s something you can substitute the copha for when making chocolate crackles…. and while there is, the classic way of making chocolate crackles with copha will always give you the best chocolate crackle crunch.
But if you can’t get copha (or would prefer to use something else), you can substitute it with:
- coconut oil
- melted butter
- melted chocolate (remove the cocoa powder from the recipe if using melted chocolate)
*Please note that these substitutions will give you a very different result in both taste and texture.
How to make chocolate crackles
There is absolutely nothing easier than making chocolate crackles… it’s just 1,2,3!
- Place all of the dry ingredients (rice bubbles, cocoa powder, icing sugar and desiccated coconut) into a bowl.
- Stir through the melted copha.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and place into the fridge to set.
And that’s all there is to making chocolate crackles – a simple and classic party food favourite!
Kids party food recipes
For more great kids party food recipes, check out these cute little recipes:
- 4 cups (100g) rice bubbles
- 1 cup (130g) icing sugar
- 1 cup (100g) desiccated coconut
- 3 tbs cocoa powder
- 250 g copha (see notes)
- Place the rice bubbles, icing sugar, coconut and cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- Melt the copha in the microwave on 50% power for 2-3 minutes or until melted.
- Stir the copha through the mixture, spoon into cupcake cases and place into the refrigerator to firm.
- Melt the copha (chopped) in the Thermomix bowl on 90 degrees, Speed 3, 4 minutes.
- Add the rice bubbles, icing sugar, coconut and cocoa powder and mix on Reverse, 5-10 seconds, Speed 3.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and place into the refrigerator to firm.