The BEST family dinner ever!! Chicken Parma Meatballs… made from chicken mince, covered in a tomato-based sauce and smothered in melted cheese. YUM!
OMG! OMG! This is one of the yummiest dinners I have had in a long time! Imagine little chicken meatballs, covered in a rich tomato sauce with melted cheese on top… and if that isn’t enough, pop a bowl of crunchy oven baked potato chips on the side and you’re good to go!
The recipe for the oven baked potato chips came from a Super Food Ideas magazine. The meatballs were just a bit of an experiment. An experiment that ended very well indeedy. I made the tomato sauce from scratch but you could totally use a store-bought tomato pasta sauce if you are short on time… or just can’t be bothered. While the sauce was simmering away, I popped the meatballs in the oven with the chips and then sat back and waited (actually I folded about 5 loads of washing and emptied the dishwasher, but you get what I mean).
When everything was ready I spooned the sauce over the meatballs and grated a little cheese over the top. I popped the chips into little bowls so that they were kept away from the sauce and stayed crispy! This meal is definitely a people-pleaser!
Chicken Parma Meatballs with Crunchy Potato Chips
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1 brown onion
- 1 handful parsley
- A few leaves oregano
- 2 pieces of stale bread made into breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato Sauce
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 400 grams tomatoes canned or fresh
- 1 heaped tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup of water water add more if needed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs chopped parsley
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 1.2 kg potatoes peeled I used red delight
- 2 tbs self raising flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (180 fan forced).
- Place bread into a food processor or Thermomix and process until fine.
- Add all meatball ingredients and process until smooth.
- Roll into 1 tablespoon sized balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1.5cm thick chips.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat down to medium and boil gently for 3 minutes.
- Drain water.
- Place saucepan back onto the stovetop and cook potatoes for a minute or until all remaining liquid has evaporated.
- Place potatoes onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and spray with oil.
- Leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour, paprika, salt and pepper over the top and toss to combine.
- Spray with olive oil spray.
- Place both the meatballs tray and the potatoes tray into the oven and cook for 35 minutes or until chips are crispy and the meatballs are cooked through (turn once halfway through cooking).
- Place onion, garlic and olive oil into a frying pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add all other sauce ingredients and simmer on low heat.
- Add more water if needed.
- Place meatballs onto serving plates and liberally top with tomato sauce.
- Grate over a small amount of cheese.
- Serve with oven baked crispy chips on the side.