This delicious One Pot Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta is the perfect midweek meal. Family-friendly, quick and easy… does it get any better than that!?
Well hello there my fellow pasta-holics… I’m so happy to see you here! You guys know how much I love my pasta, right? Give me a plate of lasagne, a big bowl of my favourite carbonara or spaghetti bolognese any day. Which brings me to this fabulously-delicious little dinner recipe….
My ONE POT CREAMY PESTO CHICKEN PASTA!!!! There are so many good things going on in this bad boy. First up, ONE POT!!! Yep Mama’s (and Dad’s, of course!), I hear ya! Doing the dishes after dinner sucks. This entire pasta is made using one pot. That. Is. It!! Whoop whoop!
And then of course, the second winning factor – creamy. Mmmm…. you can never go wrong with a creamy pasta. So good! Add in some chicken for protein, pesto for the crazy-delicious factor, baby spinach and tomatoes for freshness, and you’ve got a pasta dish made in heaven.
I made this Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta using spiral shells from San Remo’s spelt pasta range. YUM! If you haven’t tried spelt pasta, give it a go. It’s just as good as your usual pasta, but healthier and with a lot more flavour. I personally think that it’s a nuttier type of flavour – but try it for yourself and see! I’m sure you’ll love it. (It also helps that it’s a good source of fibre and 98% fat free!!!).
When you make this one pot pasta, you’ll want to make sure you’re using short pasta (like spirals or penne) as they’ll cook easier in the pot. You can also either use a pot (of course!), or a deep frying pan – as long as whatever you use can hold the pasta and the liquid without bubbling over, you’ll be fine! If you want to change it up a bit, you can use any type of pesto you like. I love basil pesto, but this is really delicious with a sun-dried tomato pesto too. You could even make your own! But come on… this is a quick and simple dinner. Take it easy on yourself and buy the store-bought pesto!
Ohhh and one last tip with this pasta… cheeeeeeese!!! Yep, the parmesan cheese is everything!!!! It’s going to take this dish from super yummy to downright flipping fantastic. Trust me on this one. Go nuts adding parmesan to the top. There’s no such thing as ‘too-much-cheese-regret’.
Anyway, that’s enough fluffing on from me today. But seriously, this really is the perfect midweek dinner – healthy, nutritious and a winner with the whole family. PLUS it’ll be on the table in less than 30 minutes… and there’s virtually NO washing up! I’m telling you… this Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta needs to happen in your life! STAT!
San Remo’s spelt pasta range is 98% fat free, made from ancient grains and is a good source of fibre.
One Pot Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 400 g chicken breast fillets sliced thinly
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 250 g spiral pasta packet San Remo spelt
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp chicken stock powder
- 150 g basil pesto
- 1/3 cup cream
- 80 g baby spinach leaves
- 250 g cherry tomatoes halved
- parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a pot or deep saucepan. Cook the chicken on medium-high heat until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and place the onion into the pot/pan. Cook until translucent. Add the minced garlic and stir until just fragrant.
- Add the San Remo spelt pasta spirals, water and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until the pasta is cooked and the liquid has nearly disappeared.
- Add the chicken and stir until heated through.
- Stir through the pesto and the cream until heated through.
- Add the baby spinach and cherry tomatoes and stir until the spinach has just started to wilt.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.