I absolutely love lemon coconut slice. Like really, really love it! Each time I make it I seem to end up using a slightly different recipe… some have been good and others could best be described as crap! After the effort it takes to get the ingredients out and make a slice it is so annoying when the icing stays runny or the base crumbles!
So you can imagine how thrilled I was when I made lemon coconut slice (again!) this weekend and it seriously turned out the best ever!
The icing set hard (in fact maybe a little too hard… but more on that later!), and the base held together perfectly when it was cut! Best of all, it tasted awesome! And considering I had a tummy bug yesterday and my entire diet for the day consisted of toast for breakfast, chocolate cake (lol I thought I was starting to feel better… turns out I wasn’t!) for lunch and then toast for dinner, I was pretty excited to be feeling like eating real food again!
Anyway, back to the slice… I absolutely love lemons. I was one of those kids who would just happily suck on a lemon (yes I was a weird child!). I don’t do that anymore, but I am still a sucker for anything lemon flavoured! So I did change the recipe a bit to include extra lemon in both the base and the icing.
A clever tip to get the base pressed down really hard is to roll a flat, round glass across the slice while pushing down. You could also use the bottom of a glass jar and press down.
While the slice is in the fridge, make the icing in a saucepan. Beware! This icing sets so fast you literally need to pour it on and have a hot knife ready to spread it like a mad woman! Mine ending up setting a bit too quickly because I was icing the slice in in my PJ’s on a lazy morning and clearly my brain hadn’t quite woken up yet!
So if you feel like making a fool proof lemon coconut slice, then this one is for you! It went down a treat with a hot Milo, a movie and a lazy afternoon on the couch. Gotta love those days! Sweet, sweet laziness!
Please note: This recipe has been updated (and made even better!). Click here for the new and improved recipe.
Best Ever Lemon Coconut Slice!
- 80 g of butter
- 250 g of condensed milk about 3/4 cup
- 250 g of plain biscuits I used Arnott's Milk Coffee
- 1 cup of coconut
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Grated lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 3/4 cup of icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Extra coconut for sprinkling
- Crush biscuits, add coconut and lemon rind and juice.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add the condensed milk, stir and then pour onto biscuit mixture.
- Mix thoroughly, press into a shallow tin, lined with paper.
- Mix icing sugar, juice and rind together and spread on top of biscuit mix. Sprinkle with extra coconut.
- Put in the fridge to set.