Delicious Oven Baked Thai Chicken Meatballs served in lettuce leaves with a sweet chilli dipping sauce. Fast, fresh and yummy.
These meatballs are really, really good. Like REALLY good! They make the most delicious dinner – especially on a warm night when you just want something light. And by serving them in lettuce leaves you end up with a totally fresh tasting meal, plus it looks pretty. And we all like a pretty dinner.
There is no doubting my love of meatballs. BUT! I’m not the hugest fan of meatballs that are fried in oil. They’re just a bit icky (is that a real word!?). These ones are oven baked, so you don’t have to worry about oil making them heavy or greasy. Ooh and because they’re made with chicken mince, they’re nice and lean too.
I have a little secret trick to baking meatballs on the oven and I promise it’s a winner. If you own a mini-muffin tray, lightly grease it with cooking oil spray, roll your meatballs and pop one into each mini hole. They’re the perfect size, help to keep the meatballs round and cooks them evenly. You don’t even need to turn them over (unless you want to of course!).
These oven baked thai chicken meatballs are flavoured with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sweet chilli and lime juice. This means that they have a BIG flavour. Love, love, LOVE that! And to make them even more delicious, I like to brush a little extra sweet chilli sauce over the top of the meatballs and sprinkle over some sesame seeds right near the end of the cooking time.
Then it’s simply a matter of serving them in lettuce leaves with a yummy sweet chilli and lime dipping sauce. Deeeeelish!
Seriously, if you make these meatballs, you’re going to be in your family’s good books for a long, long time!
Oven Baked Thai Chicken Meatballs
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs or breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs extra sweet chilli sauce for brushing
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
For the sauce
- 1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 1/2 tbs lime juice
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius.
- Lightly spray a non-stick mini-muffin tray with cooking spray and set aside (if you don't have a mini-muffin tray, lightly grease a non-stick baking tray).
- Place the chicken mince, panko crumbs, garlic, ginger, soy, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice into a bowl.
- Mix to combine.
- Roll mixture into heaped tablespoon sized balls (if your mixture is difficult to roll, add in some more panko crumbs).
- Place one ball into each hole of the mini-muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Brush with 2tbs sweet chilli sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for a further 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve in lettuce leaves with a dipping sauce made from 4 tbs sweet chilli sauce and 2 tbs lime juice.