Now this is my kind of slow cooker food!!! I’m not the hugest fan of slow cooked casseroles (I know, I know… I’m weird), but I do LOVE a slow cooked meal. This Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup is seriously amazing. If you like BIG flavours, this is for you.
I’ve called it a soup, but it’s really much more like a whole meal. There’s so much delicious chicken, beans, corn and tomatoes going on in there, that you don’t feel like you’re eating a soup at all. Yep, this is one hearty flavoursome meal. And it’s definitely a winner on a cold winters night.
For me, Mexican food just isn’t the same without a big dollop of sour cream and a whole heap of chunky avocado on top. It really takes this slow cooker Mexican chicken soup to a whole new yummy level. Oh and you know what would be even better…. if you had some corn chips to dunk in too! (Sadly I didn’t have any at home… and couldn’t be bothered making a trip to the supermarket!!). Next time, you can be guaranteed I’ll have some on hand!
The best thing about this soup is you just pop everything in and leave it to do it’s thing for a few hours. Then you just take out the chicken and shred it into pieces, pop it back in and give it all a stir and then serve it up. Seriously good stuff!!
Oooh I forgot to mention what gives this soup those MEGA big flavours – you just add in a bottle of salsa or enchilada sauce and a packet of taco seasoning. See I told you… massive yummy Mexican flavours.
Mmm check out that delicious chicken… it really is a filling meal!
Need some more slow cooker inspiration? Check out my Top 10 Slow Cooker Meals… they’re so darn good!
- 2 chicken breasts (without the skin)
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 X 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 X 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn (or you could use 1 small tin of corn instead)
- 1 jar (approx 300g) enchilada sauce or salsa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 X 30g sachet of taco seasoning
- Sour cream, chopped avocado and corn chips to serve
- *If you prefer your soup to have a bit of extra heat - simply add some chilli powder to the slow cooker as per your preferred taste
- Place the chicken, chopped onion, garlic, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn and enchilada sauce (or salsa) into the slow cooker.
- Mix the taco seasoning packet mix into the chicken stock.
- Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low and then remove and shred the chicken.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir.
- Leave for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, chopped avocado and corn chips.
This recipe has been modified and adapted from Gimme Some Oven’s original Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe.