If you ask me for recipe inspiration for slices, cookies and cakes, I can talk your ear off for hours (I love talking about sweet things), but ask me for lunch ideas and I’m really not quite as chatty! To be honest, I’m the biggest creature of habit so once I start having something for lunch I tend to have it every single day for the next month! Anyway, recently I’ve got lots of emails from some lovely Bake Play Smile readers who have been asking for lunch recipes. See….. it’s not just me that gets in lunch ruts!!!! So I set to work coming up with a few different ideas – and one of those ideas is these deliciously crisp Ham & Corn Mini Quiches.
I wanted to make these quiches delicious enough for adults to love, but also really kid and lunchbox friendly too. I think the combination of the ham and the corn does that perfectly. The corn gives the quiches a beautiful sweetness and the ham and cheese keep things nicely in balance.
I also wanted to make sure that the quiches were freezer friendly too. I am a huge fan of having big weekends baking and then freezing everything ready for lunch or dinner during the week. These definitely freeze well! All you need to do is grab a couple out in the morning, pop them in the fridge and by lunchtime they will be defrosted and ready to heat up. Of course you could just re-heat the quiches in the microwave, but if you want to get that beautiful crispy pastry, they’re best if you pop them in the oven for a couple of minutes.
I think the main thing I love about these quiches is just how quick and simple they are to make. Store-bought puff pastry works beautifully so there’s really no need to make your own (although if you’re super motivated you could!). From there you just cut large circles of pastry and place them into a greased muffin tray. Then it’s just a matter of popping in the corn, ham, spring onion, egg mixture and then topping with a little cheese.
Into the oven they go and oh my goodness… the smell is incredible. By the time they are ready you will be totally drooling and ready to gobble them all up. If you can restrain yourself to eat just a couple, then pop the rest into an airtight container and freeze. Alternatively, leave them in the fridge and use within 2 days (I can promise you that there’s no way they’ll last that long anyway).
I hope I’ve helped to give you some inspiration to whip up something new and different for lunch and I’d absolutely love to hear from you if there’s any other recipes you’d like me to have a go at making – just email me at [email protected]
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 125g can corn kernels, drained
- ½ cup (35g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 75g shaved ham slices, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 7 large eggs, lightly whisked (8 if using smaller eggs)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Grease a 12 x ⅓-cup capacity muffin pan.
- Cut four 10cm circles from each sheet of pastry (total of 12 circles).
- Line each of the muffin holes with one pastry circle.
- Equally divide the ham, corn and spring onion between the muffin holes.
- Pour over the egg mixture.
- Top with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Leave in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.