A family favourite slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe filled with tender beef in a creamy mushroom sauce and served with pasta.
Beef stroganoff has always been one of my favourite meals - it's hearty, creamy and delicious... all in one! And it's even better when it's cooked in the slow cooker all day long. YUM!
Why cook beef stroganoff in the slow cooker rather than on the stovetop?
Beef stroganoff tastes amazing cooked either way, but I love the slow cooker version because:
- the meat is so tender after hours of simmering away
- you can pop it on in the morning, leave it to do it's thing... and dinner is ready!
- the flavours have hours to develop giving you the most amazing tasting beef stroganoff
Searing the meat before putting it in the slow cooker
In this recipe, I always sear the beef before it goes into the slow cooker. While it's not an absolutely essential step, doing this is going to take the flavour of your dish to the MAX! Plus searing the beef will keep it's juices inside while it cooks, giving you beautiful tender beef.
If you're pushed for time, you can skip the searing step... but if you have a couple of extra minutes, it's going to make a HUGE difference to your meal.
What do you serve with beef stroganoff?
Ooh there's so many yummy options!
- egg noodles
- any kind of pasta (long, short, curly... anything you like)
- mashed potato
- crusty bread on the side
All of these will soak up the yummy creamy mushroom sauce.... which you are definitely going to want to do!!
The best slow cooker recipes
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 750 g rump steak (see notes)
- salt and pepper, to season
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 40 g butter
- 1 cup (250ml) liquid beef stock
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme (optional)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 400 g mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 400 g egg noodles or pasta, to serve
- Slice the steak into thin strips and season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add half of the steak strips, spread out with tongs and allow to cook (without turning) for 30 seconds. Turn the steak and repeat for a further 30 seconds (the meat will still be pink inside). Transfer to a slow cooker and repeat with cooking the remaining olive oil and beet strips.
- Add the butter to the frying pan and allow to melt. Cook the onion for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add to the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together the beef stock liquid, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sweet paprika, dried thyme and tomato paste. Pour into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
- With 1 hour remaining, add the mushrooms.
- With 30 minutes remaining, stir through the sour cream (see notes).
- Serve with egg noodles or pasta.