Crunchy oven-bake homemade chicken nuggets are a healthier version of everyone's favourite snack!
Forget about fast-food restaurant or store-bought frozen chicken nuggets... it couldn't be easier to make your own chicken nuggets with just a few basic ingredients!
These healthier nuggets are loved by fussy toddlers, on-the-go kids, hungry teenagers and adults! Freezer-friendly, great for lunchboxes or a quick and easy snack.
6 Ingredient Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Say hello to the easiest crumbed homemade chicken nuggets!
To make my oven-baked nuggets, you'll need:
- chicken mince - either buy chicken mince or mince your own using chicken breast
- panko crumbs - are a Japanese style breadcrumb that are light and cook to a crunchy texture. Alternatively you can use regular breadcrumbs (but panko crumbs are a million times better!)
- finely grated parmesan cheese - this gives the crumb on your chicken nuggets the most delicious flavour!
- chicken stock powder - this is optional however it gives a big flavour boost to the crumb
- plain flour and eggs - for coating the nuggets
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for ingredient quantities and detailed method.
How To Make Chicken Nuggets From Scratch
Have a big batch of homemade chicken nuggets prepped and baked in less than 30 minutes!
Step 1 - Par-bake the panko crumbs
Place the panko crumbs on a baking paper lined tray and bake in the oven until lightly golden. Shake a few times during baking for even cooking.
Step 2 - Mix the parmesan cheese and chicken stock powder through the panko crumbs
This mixture is going to give you the most delicious and flavour-packed crunchy crumb.
Step 3 - Shape the chicken mince into 'nuggets'
Use your hands (see my tips below) to shape the chicken mince into traditional nugget shapes. Use approximately 1 tablespoon of chicken mince per nugget.
Step 3 - Crumb the nuggets
Crumb the nuggets by coating in plain flour, dipping in beaten egg and then covering with the baked panko crumbs.
Step 4 - Bake until golden
Spray the nuggets with cooking oil and bake until golden and crunchy.
Recipe FAQ & Tips
Do I have to use panko crumbs?
If you can't get your hands on panko crumbs (most supermarkets or grocers sell them in the Asian section or with the breadcrumbs), then you can substitute for regular breadcrumbs. However, the panko crumbs are what gives the crumb a delicious crunch!
Why do you bake the panko crumbs first?
Baking the panko crumbs before coating the nuggets gives them a delicious crunchy texture and a golden colour. It also keeps thee crumb crunchy (and avoids any sogginess) when baked with the chicken.
Help! The chicken is too sticky to shape into nuggets!
Wet your hands with cold water before shaping into nuggets. The wetness on your hands will take away the stickiness of the chicken. You may need to wash your hands and wet them again a couple of times during the process if they start to get sticky!
Can I use chicken breast in place of chicken mince?
Yes, absolutely! If you have a food processor or a Thermomix, you can mince chicken breasts to use in the nuggets.
How long will the chicken nuggets last once cooked?
Store the cooked chicken nuggets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven until hot all the way through.
Can you freeze these nuggets?
Yes absolutely! You can freeze the nuggets either cooked or uncooked. If freezing them cooked, you can reheat by placing the frozen nuggets into the oven and baking until hot all the way through.
More Healthy Nugget & Snacks
Once you've fallen in love with the taste and ease of making homemade chicken nuggets, you'll want to try these yummy nuggets too:
- Healthy Chicken & Vegetable Nuggets - smuggle some sneaky vegetables into these kid-friendly nuggets.
- Sweet Potato & Zucchini 'Nuggets' - a meat-free alternative that is absolutely perfect for baby-led weaning, fussy toddlers or an easy lunchbox snack.
- Chickpea Nuggets - similar to a felafel... but in a nugget!
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Oven-Baked Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 500 g chicken mince see notes
- 90 g (1 cup) panko crumbs
- 50 g (½ cup) parmesan cheese very finely grated
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder optional
- 75 g (½ cup) plain flour
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Place the panko crumbs onto a baking paper lined baking tray and cook in the oven for approximately 5-10 minutes or until lightly golden (give the tray a shake every few minutes). Set the panko crumbs aside in a bowl to cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 210 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Shape the chicken mince into nuggets (about 1 tablespoon in size).
- Finely grate the parmesan cheese and add it to the cooled panko crumbs along with the chicken stock powder and mix through.
- Place the plain flour into a bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and beat well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- One at a time, coat the chicken nuggets in the plain flour (shake off any excess), then the egg mixture and finally the panko crumb mixture.
- Place crumbed nuggets onto a baking paper lined baking tray.
- Spray lightly with cooking oil and bake for approximately 12-14 minutes or until golden, crunchy and cooked through. Turn the nuggets over halfway through the cooking time.
I like your recipe I love it
Thanks so much for the clearly recipe.
Winner winner chicken dinner! A little fiddly as the mince is quite soft which makes it a little challenging to keep them in shape, however, they're delicious. Considering next time to put some flavour in the chicken mince itself. Might also see if i can create some 'chicken kiev balls'
ooh great ideas!