The best homemade crispy potato wedges you'll ever eat! Lightly seasoned with lemon zest and paprika, then oven baked to perfect crispiness... there really is nothing better.
Just 10 minutes preparation time is all it takes to make the crunchiest, crispiest, roasted potato wedges EVER!!! Both oven baked AND air fryer instructions included.
There's no doubt that potatoes are one of the most delicious and versatile vegetables around!
Whether you're using them to make a batch of these super crispy baked potato wedges, a classic creamy potato, egg and bacon salad or soft and fluffy homemade potato cakes, they're always sure to make the TASTIEST recipes!
Table Of Contents
Why You're Going To Love This Recipe
Crunchy, crispy baked potato wedges are so addictive... just try stopping yourself! This really is the BEST potato wedges recipe...
- The ULTIMATE Seasoning - my crispy potato wedges are lightly seasoning with lemon zest and paprika giving them a delicious flavour (that the kids will love too!)
- Par Boiled For Extra Crunch - one of the secrets to potato wedges baked crispy is to par boil the potatoes until just tender (but not soft!) before roasting them in the oven. It's a total game changer.
- Oven Baked - these paprika wedges are roasted in the oven until golden and super crunchy!
- The Best Snack - serve with a bowl of dipping sauce (or my favourite... sour cream and sweet chilli sauce!) for a tasty and filling snack. So satisfying!
- Versatile - while my potato wedges recipe is the ultimate snack food, it's also the perfect accompaniment to dinner. Serve with pulled pork burgers with slaw for Friday night 'fake away' or add to your favourite meat and salad for an easy midweek family dinner.
- 10 Minutes Prep Time - while homemade baked potato wedges may look fancy, they only require 10 minutes active preparation time... then just let the oven roast them into crunchy bites of deliciousness.
- Suitable For The Air Fryer - these wedges can either be roasted in the oven or cooked in the air fryer. I've included both sets of instructions in the Recipe Card below.
What You Need
Just 5 ingredients are needed to make lemon and paprika potato wedges!
Note: Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the ingredients quantities and full detailed method.
- Potatoes - I recommend using kipfler potatoes which are a small variety of potato. They're perfect for roasting and baking as they hold their shape when cooked. If you can't buy kipfler potatoes, the following varieties are also great for roasting: Yukon Gold, Red Potatoes, Desiree, Sebago, Dutch Cream and Coliban.
- Butter - you can use either salted or unsalted butter when making homemade potato wedges.
- Olive Oil - use a good quality olive oil for the perfect taste and crunch.
- Ground Paprika - you can use either regular ground paprika or ground sweet paprika. Sweet paprika has a slightly lighter and sweeter flavour than regular paprika. This is a very light tasting seasoning that adds just enough!
- Lemon Zest - finely grate the lemon zest of one lemon for a hit of zesty citrus that pairs perfectly with the paprika wedges.
- Salt & Pepper - for seasoning, sea salt preferable.
Whichever way you choose to cook these crispy, spicy wedges, they are sure to be a huge hit with the family.
- Oven or Air Fryer - see the Recipe Card below for air fryer instructions.
Step By Step Instructions
Want to know how to make crispy potato wedges at home?
Follow my easy recipe for CRUNCHY and CRISPY wedges every time!
Note: Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the ingredients, quantities and full detailed method.
Step 1 - Par Boil The Potatoes
Place the peeled and chopped potatoes into a large pot filled with water.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until just tender (but not soft).
Drain the potatoes and place back into the pot over low heat and shake until all of the liquid has evaporated.
Step 2 - Preheat The Oven
Preheat the oven and once it has reached temperature, add a baking tray with the oil and butter in it.
Heat for 5 minutes or until the butter has melted and is bubbly.
Working quickly, toss the par-boiled potatoes through the hot oil and melted butter - turning until completely coated.
Step 3 - Roast The Potatoes
Oven roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven.
Step 4 - Add The Seasoning
Sprinkle the potatoes with paprika and lemon zest, shake, tossing well to coat.
Season well with salt and pepper.
Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes (or until super CRUNCHY!!).....
Follow my tips for perfectly CRISPY and crunchy potato wedges!
Kipfler potatoes are the BEST variety of potato to use for crispy potato wedges! Peel and slice in half before par boiling. The following varieties are also great for roasting: Yukon Gold, Red Potatoes, Desiree, Sebago, Dutch Cream and Coliban.
If you're after the ultimate in crispy and crunchy homemade potato wedges, then it's so important to par boil them before cooking.
Par boil for 10 minutes or until just tender (but not soft).
Drain the potatoes and then place back into the pot over the heat and shake until absolutely no moisture remains, then coat in butter and oil and roast.
You may notice that some little bits of potato will fall off when you shake the pot and that's completely fine... those bits will become extra crispy little bites!
Par boiling semi-cooks the inside of the potatoes, meaning that once they're roasted, the outside will be extra crunchy while the inside will remain deliciously soft and fluffy.
Crispy potatoes require a HOT oven! Preheat to 210 degrees celsius (fan-forced) before adding the potatoes.
Using a combination of both oil and butter gives you the crunchiest outside layer to your potatoes. Make sure the butter has melted and is extra hot before adding the potatoes to the roasting dish.
All ovens are different and require slightly different cooking times. Continue to roast your potatoes until they are EXTRA crunchy on the outside.
Serve with your favourite dipping sauce or sour cream and sweet chilli sauce for a tasty snack.
Alternatively, serve the potato wedges with meat and salad for a family dinner.
All your crispy potato wedge questions are answered here...
If using kipfler potatoes (a small variety), you will simply need to peel the potatoes and then slice in half lengthways. If using a larger variety of potato, cut into 4-8 long wedges.
To ensure that your homemade potato wedges are extra crunchy once cooked, it's so important to drain them very well after par boiling and then place back into the pot over heat and shake until ALL of the moisture has evaporated. The outside of the potatoes will become a little fluffy once shaken and dry, then toss them in the hot oil/butter mixture and roast in a very HOT oven.
If you're reheating potato wedges that have been stored in the fridge, place them on a baking tray into a very HOT oven and cook until they crisp up again. Alternatively, place them in the air fryer and reheat on 180 degrees celsius until the crunch has returned and they're hot throughout.
Store any leftover potato wedges in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer until hot and crispy.
Homemade oven baked potato wedges made using this recipe have 175 calories per serve (approximately 170g potatoes per serve). This recipe makes 6 regular sized serves.
Tasty and irresistible snacks and sides that the whole family will love!
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Crispy Potato Wedges
- 1 kg kipfler potatoes
- 30 g butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1 ½ tsp ground paprika or sweet paprika
- sea salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Peel the kipfler potatoes and slice them down the middle.
- Place the kipfler potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil for 10 minutes or until just tender (but not soft).
- Drain the potatoes and place them back into the saucepan. Shake the saucepan over low heat to remove any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, place the butter and olive oil into a large baking tray and cook in the oven for 5 minutes or until hot and melted.
- Place the potatoes into the baking tray and toss to coat with the oil/butter mixture.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the lemon zest, paprika, salt and pepper and shake to coat.
- Place back into the oven for a further 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Air Fryer Method
- Peel the kipfler potatoes and slice them down the middle.
- Soak the potatoes in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the olive oil (do not use butter if following the air fryer method), paprika, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Toss until the potatoes are well coated in the seasonings and oil.
- Place into the air fryer basket (do not exceed the machines capacity - you may have to cook the potatoes in batches).
- Cook on 200 degrees celsius for 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. After 30 minutes, check if the potatoes are extra crunchy, if not, cook for a further 10 minutes. The potato wedges should be crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Potatoes - Kipfler potatoes are the BEST variety of potato to use for crispy potato wedges! Peel and cut in half lengthways before par boiling. The following varieties are also great for roasting: Yukon Gold, Red Potatoes, Desiree, Sebago, Dutch Cream and Coliban.
- Preheat the oven - preheat to 210 degrees celsius (fan-forced) before adding the potatoes.
- Par Boil (oven method only) - par boil for 10 minutes or until just tender (but not soft). Drain the potatoes and then place back into the pot over the heat and shake until absolutely no moisture remains at all. You may notice that some little bits will come off when you shake the pot and that's completely fine... those bits are going to end up as extra crispy little bites!
- Storing - store any leftover potato wedges in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer until hot and crispy.