The BEST Creamy, Cheesy Vegetable Quinoa Bake ever! It’s kid-friendly, perfect as a side dish or a main meal… and best of all, it’s SO easy!!
THIS is the recipe you need in your life. Well, if I’m being honest, it’s probably one of many recipes you need… but it’s definitely up there! Yep this Creamy, Cheesy Vegetable Quinoa Bake really is ‘it and a-bit’.
It’s a vegetarian dish (but if you’re a meat lover, don’t let that fact put you off… it also tastes great when served with some meat on the side). BUT! It totally doesn’t neeeed any meat. This is one flavour-packed meal all on it’s own.
This is one of those super handy recipes that you can make when there’s NOTHING in the house to eat! It’s made pretty much completely from pantry and fridge basics, so there’s no need to make another trip to the supermarket. Just whip it up, pop it in the oven… and let that cheesy-goodness smell waft through your house. Mmmmm….
Oooh and did I mention that this Creamy, Cheesy Vegetable Quinoa Bake is a great recipe for the kids too! It’s packed full of vegetables (but they’re all grated so they wont have a clue!) and it makes a super quick and easy meal. You can also freeze it in individual portions for an ‘on-the-go’ lunch or dinner.
The key to this delicious dish is definitely the cheesy sauce. It binds the whole thing together and makes it taste AMAZING! I used a combination of mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan… but feel free to use whatever you have lying around (but just know that mozzarella cheese gives this Creamy, Cheesy Vegetable Quinoa Bake that oozy-gooey cheesy taste).
Creamy, Cheesy Vegetable & Quinoa Bake
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 broccoli small
- 1 (120g) carrot grated (medium)
- 1 (200g) zucchini grated (medium)
- 1 (150g) red capsicum grated
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 250 g cheese grated (any combination of parmesan, mozzarella and cheddar)
- 30 g butter
- 250 g milk
- 15 g plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Place the quinoa, water and vegetable stock into a saucepan and cook according to the packet instructions. Fluff up with a fork and place into the casserole dish.
- Squeeze any excess liquid out of the grated vegetables and add to the casserole dish. Add in the corn.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the plain flour and continue mixing for 2 minutes. While continuing to whisk, slowly add the milk. Whisk while cooking for approximately 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add 1/2 of the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour the cheese source over the quinoa and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius (fan-forced). Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Place the quinoa, water and vegetable stock into a saucepan and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid has disappeared. Fluff up with a fork and place into the prepared casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, place the roughly chopped vegetables into the Thermomix bowl and finely chop on Speed 8 for 5-10 seconds (using the spatula to assist). Remove the vegetables from the Thermomix bowl and strain any excess liquid away.
- Place the finely chopped vegetables into the casserole dish with the cooked quinoa and corn kernels.
- Place the cheese in to the Thermomix bowl and grate on Speed 10, 10 seconds. Set aside.
- In a clean Thermomix bowl, place the butter, milk, plain flour, salt, pepper and half of the grated cheese and cook for 7 minutes, 80 degrees, Speed 4.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables and quinoa and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle over the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden on top.