This chocolate brownie trifle is the perfect indulgent adults-only treat. Filled with rich chocolate brownie, vanilla and chocolate custards, whipped cream, salted caramel sauce, and a splash of Bailey's Irish Cream, it's absolutely delicious, decadent, and a little boozy!
This adults-only Christmas chocolate trifle recipe is made with layers of chocolate, vanilla, and caramel, with a hint of Irish cream.
So easy to put together, it's the perfect holiday dessert with a boozy surprise.
This Baileys chocolate trifle starts with a layer of crumbled chocolate brownie, then is topped with Baileys to make it super moist.
Layers of vanilla and chocolate custard, whipped cream, salted caramel sauce, and a sprinkling of more brownie make this dessert so rich and luxurious.
Why You'll Love This Chocolate Trifle with Baileys
- So Quick & Easy – There is no baking, no cooking, no waiting with this recipe! Simply layer pre-made or store-bought ingredients for a recipe that tastes like a dessert you'd buy in a fancy restaurant.
- A Little Boozy – A splash of Baileys Irish Cream gives this recipe just a little kick for the grown-ups.
- Only 15 Minutes – This Baileys trifle only takes a few minutes to put together!
What You Need
- chocolate brownie – use our favourite chocolate brownie recipe or buy a pre-made brownie from the supermarket - see recipe notes below
- Baileys Irish Cream – you can make your own or use the store-bought version
- vanilla double thick custard - or substitute for Baileys custard
- chocolate double thick custard
- whipped cream
- salted caramel sauce – make your own using this recipe or use a store-bought version
How To Make Brownie Chocolate Trifle in 15 Minutes
Note: Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the ingredients quantities and full detailed method.
Step 1 - Start with The Brownie
In a glass, add crumbled brownie. Drizzle some Baileys Irish Cream on top to make it deliciously moist.
Step 2 - Add the custard
Add a layer of vanilla custard, then chocolate custard, then whipped cream.
Step 3 - Add the Sauce & Repeat
Drizzle with the salted caramel sauce. Repeat all the layers.
Step 5 - Top It Off
Finish with a layer of more crumbled brownie and a little more salted caramel sauce.
Recipe Tips & FAQ
Can I prepare this chocolate brownie trifle ahead of time?
This trifle is best prepared on the day of serving, otherwise it may get too soggy as the layers sit! You can let the trifle chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving, so it's great for whipping up before dinner and serving after.
What kind of brownie should I use?
Use a rich and dense chocolate brownie that crumbles into chunks easily (our 5 minute brownie recipe is perfect!)
Can I make one big trifle instead of several small ones?
Absolutely! You can make this recipe as individual serves (like I've done in the photos above) or you can make it as one whole trifle in a large glass bowl or trifle bowl.
What are some variations for the ingredients?
You can substitute the vanilla custard for Baileys custard (which is sold in the supermarket in the lead up to Christmas). Choose thick double custards as they hold the layers better than a thinner runny custard. You can whip your own cream or use a store-bought pre-whipped cream.
Can I make this recipe kid-friendly?
Yes! Simply omit the Baileys Irish Cream.
Can I store this brownie trifle?
Sure! This trifle should be kept covered in the fridge and consumed within 2 days, however it is best prepared on the day it is served.
More Baileys Recipes
If you love Baileys Irish Cream as much as I do, then check out our most popular Baileys recipes here!
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Baileys Chocolate Brownie Trifle
- 20 cm chocolate brownie see notes
- Baileys Irish Cream see notes
- 900 g vanilla double thick custard
- 500 ml thickened cream whipped
- 900 g chocolate double thick custard
- ¾ cup salted caramel sauce
- Place 6 large individual serving glasses onto the bench (or 8-10 smaller glasses).
- Crumble the cooked chocolate brownie into small chunks.
- Divide ⅓ of the brownie chunks between the serving glasses.
- Pour over a small amount of Baileys Irish Cream (the brownie will soak up the Baileys).
- Spoon over half of the vanilla custard, half of the whipped cream and half of the chocolate custard (in layers).
- Drizzle over ⅓ of the salted caramel sauce.
- Repeat all of the layers once more (including the Baileys Irish Cream).
- Finish off with the remaining ⅓ chocolate brownie and the salted caramel sauce.
- Place into the fridge until serving.
- Use a rich and dense chocolate brownie that crumbles into chunks easily (our 5 minute brownie recipe is perfect!)
- you can make this recipe as individual serves (like I've done in the photos above) or you can make it as one whole trifle in a large glass bowl or trifle bowl.
- This recipe is best prepared on the day of serving.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- You can substitute the vanilla custard for Baileys custard (which is sold in the supermarket in the lead up to Christmas).
- For a kid-friendly version - simply omit the Baileys Irish Cream.
- Choose thick double custards as they hold the layers better than a thinner runny custard.
- You can whip your own cream or use a store-bought pre-whipped cream.
- This trifle should be kept covered in the fridge and consumed within 2 days.