A rich and deliciously easy classic roast pumpkin soup recipe – pop a dollop of sour cream on top for the perfect finish!
Hi there! Today I thought I’d share with you a classic roast pumpkin soup recipe. This is so easy-peasy. Seriously, it’s the simplest thing ever. Sometimes I like to go all fancy-pants with my soups, but this is the complete opposite. It’s just a classic and basic recipe that is really, really yummy!
I’m a big fan of any kind of pumpkin soup… but this is probably my favourite version. Because you roast the pumpkin pieces, you get the most deliciously rich flavour, and one that’s virtually impossible to match by any other cooking method. You could call this the winter staple of my kitchen (kinda like how my boots are the winter staple of my wardrobe!).
I love that the most difficult thing about this recipe is waiting for the pumpkin pieces to cook in the oven. Honestly, it’s that simple. And make sure you put the cooking time to good use by kicking back with a cup of tea, a magazine, Netflix – or something equally as brilliant.
Once the pumpkin and onion have roasted beautifully, it’s just matter of blending them with some vegetable stock and then adding a little cream (or milk if you prefer).
And oh I have to tell you, this soup would not be complete without a good dollop (and I mean a GOOD dollop – don’t be light fingered with that stuff!) of sour cream on top and some deliciously crusty bread on the side. Crusty bread and soup go together like cookies and cream… or like raspberries and chocolate… they’re a match made in foodie heaven.
So now that the weather is starting to cool down, make yourself a big batch of this soup and kick back with a snuggly blanket on the couch. Mmm that sounds like perfection to me!
Easy Classic Roast Pumpkin Soup
- 1 whole butternut pumpkin approximately 2kg
- 1 brown onion peeled and halved
- sea salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- *sour cream to serve optional... but highly recommended!!
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (180 fan forced).
- Cut the pumpkin into large pieces (and remove the seeds and skin).
- Place the pumpkin and cut onion onto the baking tray.
- Drizzle with the oil oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Place the pumpkin and onion into a saucepan and allow to cool slightly.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable stock and blend with a stick blender (a normal blender or a Thermomix can be used in place of the stick blender).
- Add the remaining 3 cups, one at a time, blending in between each addition.
- Add the cream and stir gently.
- Bring the soup in a saucepan to a low simmer until heated through.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Classic Roast Pumpkin Soup – Thermomix Instructions:
Follow conventional method until Step 6 then place the pumpkin and onion into the TM bowl.
1. Blend on Speed 5 for 10 seconds.
2. Add 2 cups of vegetable stock and blend for 20 seconds.
3. Repeat with remaining 2 cups of vegetable stock.
4. Add the cream and heat on 80 degrees, 3 minutes, Reverse Speed 2.
5. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.