A healthy vegetable-packed winter tomato soup recipe that makes a hearty and delicious midweek meal... have it on the table in 45 minutes!
Tomato soup is an absolute winter staple meal in our house. It's quick and easy to whip up, is freezer-friendly and tastes AMAZING!
If you're after a fresh, healthy and flavour-packed soup... this is for you!
Jamie Oliver Recipe
My recipe is based on the original recipe from Jamie Oliver but with a few little tweaks and changes. It's such a beautifully fresh and healthy soup... full of carrots, celery and of course, tomatoes (the perfect way to boost your veggie intake).
Low Calorie Soup
But just because it's low calorie doesn't mean it's low in flavour or will leave you feeling hungry! This vegetable-packed soup is very hearty and is bursting with flavour.
Tinned & Fresh Tomatoes
In this recipe, I've used a combination of tinned and fresh tomatoes, but you can absolutely use all tinned tomatoes if you prefer.
Using tinned tomatoes (that cost around 60c per tin) makes this recipe such a budget-friendly one... it will literally only cost you a couple of dollars to make an entire batch of tomato soup that serves 6 people.
3 Step Tomato Soup Recipe
This 3 step tomato soup recipe could not be simpler to make!
Note: Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the ingredient quantities and the full method.
Step 1 - Cook the vegetables and garlic in a frying pan until soft.
Step 2 - Add the stock powder, water, sugar and tomatoes and cook.
Step 3 - Blend until pureed and smooth with a stick blender.
This soup tastes AMAZING all on it's own, but I recommend serving it with the following:
- salt and pepper, to season
- fresh basil leaves
- buttered toast or a crusty bread roll on the side (to wipe up all those delicious bits of soup!)
Sometimes I'll also add a dash of cream or sour cream, or even some parmesan cheese. YUM!
Recipe Tips & FAQ
Equipment - To make tomato soup you'll need a frying pan, stove-top and a stick blender/blender or alternatively, a Thermomix.
Cooking the vegetables - allow the vegetables to cook until very soft. This makes it easier to puree the soup with a blender and also enhances the flavour of the vegetables.
Storing - Tomato soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Freezing - This soup freezes absolutely perfectly! Freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Defrost in the microwave or on the stove-top.
More Winter Soup Recipes
For more healthy, low-calorie soup recipes, check out some more of my favourites here
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Facebook or Instagram. And if you love baking, then please come and join my Facebook cooking club group or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
- 180 g (1) brown onion chopped
- 230 g (2) carrots chopped
- 80 g (2) celery sticks
- 30 g olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chicken stock powder
- 400 g water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 800 g tinned diced tomatoes
- 400 g fresh tomatoes chopped
- fresh basil to serve
- Peel and chop the onion, celery and carrots.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan over medium heat and cook the vegetables and the minced garlic for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chicken stock powder, water, sugar, tinned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and cook for a further 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Allow to cool slightly before pureeing with a stick blender or food processor.
- Serve with fresh basil leaves.
- Place the roughly chopped onion, carrot and celery into the Thermomix bowl. Chop on Speed 6, 5 seconds.
- Add the minced garlic and olive oil and saute for 3 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and repeat for a further 3 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 2.
- Add the chicken stock powder, sugar, water tinned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and cook for 25 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 1 (see notes).
- Allow to cool and then mix until smooth by very slowly increasing to Speed 6.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with fresh basil.