A hearty vegetable-packed winter tomato soup recipe that makes a healthy and delicious midweek meal… have it on the table in 45 minutes!
Tomato soup is an absolute winter staple in our house. It’s quick and easy to whip up, is freezer-friendly and tastes AMAZING! Seriously, this is just such a fresh and flavour-packed soup!
Jamie Oliver Tomato Soup recipe
My recipe is based on this original recipe from Jamie Oliver but with a few little tweaks and changes. It’s such a beautifully fresh and healthy soup… full of carrots, celery and of course, tomatoes!
And did I mention that it’s less than 150 calories per serve which is AWESOME if you’re watching what you’re eating (although it is hard to go past a butter slathered piece of toast or bread roll on the side!).
Making tomato soup using tinned or canned tomatoes
The thing that makes this soup soooo simple is that you can use tinned or canned tomatoes. Yay! In this recipe, I’ve used a combination of tinned and fresh tomatoes, but you can absolutely use all tinned tomatoes if you prefer.
Tinned tomatoes makes this recipe such a budget-friendly one… it will literally only cost you a couple of dollars to make an entire batch that serves 6 people.
What do you serve with tomato soup?
This soup tastes AMAZING all on it’s own, but I recommend serving it with the following:
- salt and pepper, to season
- fresh basil leaves
- buttered toast or a crusty bread roll on the side (to wipe up all those delicious bits of soup!)
Sometimes I’ll also add a dash of cream or sour cream, or even some parmesan cheese. YUM!
More Winter Soup Recipes
For more healthy, low-calorie soup recipes, check out some more of my favourites here
What are your favourite soups to make during winter?
- 180 g (1) brown onion chopped
- 230 g (2) carrots chopped
- 80 g (2) celery sticks
- 30 g olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chicken stock powder
- 400 g water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 800 g tinned tomatoes
- 400 g fresh tomatoes chopped
- fresh basil to serve
- Peel and chop the onion, celery and carrots.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan over medium heat and cook the vegetables and the minced garlic for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chicken stock powder, water, sugar, tinned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and cook for a further 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Allow to cool slightly before pureeing with a stick blender or food processor.
- Serve with fresh basil leaves.
- Place the roughly chopped onion, carrot and celery into the Thermomix bowl. Chop on Speed 6, 5 seconds.
- Add the minced garlic and olive oil and saute for 3 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and repeat for a further 3 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 2.
- Add the chicken stock powder, sugar, water tinned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and cook for 25 minutes, 100 degrees, Speed 1 (see notes).
- Allow to cool and then mix until smooth by very slowly increasing to Speed 6.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with fresh basil.