The best crispy potato wedges you’ll ever eat! Lightly seasoned with lemon and paprika, then oven-baked to perfect crispiness… there really is nothing better!
If there’s one thing I LOVE, it’s a crispy potato wedge… especially when it’s dunked in sweet chilli sauce and sour cream. And I have to say that these really are the BEST crispy potato wedges you’ll ever eat. They’re par-boiled, then lightly seasoned with lemon and paprika and oven-baked to crispy perfection. Seriously.. perfection people!
There’s a few little tricks to getting these potato wedges super crispy. The first one is to use kipfler potatoes (if you can!). You can use any type of potato, but you really want a variety that’s going to crisp up nicely. I find kipflers are the way to go. Plus they’re nice and little, so you can just peel them and slice them in half. Easy as!
The second trick is to par-boil the potatoes until they’re just tender. Not soft… just tender! Then make sure you drain them really, really well to get all that excess moisture off them. Pop them back into the saucepan and give them a good shake over the heat as this will really dry them off. You’ll notice that little bits will come off when you shake the saucepan and that’s totally fine… those bits are going to end up as delicious little crispy bites… yum!
The next trick is to make sure that you’ve heated the oil and butter in a baking tray in the oven before you add the potatoes. Yep, I did just say oil AND butter. I know, I know… this is not a Weight Watchers recipe (but you won’t care in the slightest when you’re crunching down on the best crispy potato wedges ever!!).
Once you’ve melted the butter and oil together, add the par-boiled potatoes and give them a really good shake. Make sure all of that goodness is covering your potatoes. Then bake them for about 15 minutes. At this stage, they’re ready to be seasoned…
Take them out of the oven and sprinkle over the lemon zest, paprika, salt and pepper and then pop back into the oven for a further 20 minutes or until they’re deliciously crispy (the time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes). When you take them out of the oven, you are going to have the most amazingly crispy potato wedges you’ve ever eaten. OMG they’re good!
- 1kg kipfler potatoes
- 30g butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 1½ tsp ground paprika
- sea salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius.
- Peel the kipfler potatoes and slice them down the middle.
- Place the kipfler potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place them back into the saucepan. Shake the saucepan over low heat to remove any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, place the butter and olive oil into a large baking tray and cook in the oven for 5 minutes or until hot and melted.
- Place the potatoes into the baking tray and coat with the oil/butter mixture.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the lemon zest, paprika, salt and pepper and shake to coat.
- Place back into the oven for a further 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.