This is the only muesli bar recipe you’ll ever need! These Soft & Chewy Homemade Muesli Bars are packed full of lots of healthy bits!
So I know that by the look of a LOT of recipes on Bake Play Smile it seems like I eat sugar for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I swear I don’t!! I’m actually a really healthy eater (most of the time anyway!). Don’t get me wrong, I have a huge sweet tooth but I try and balance it out with lots of healthy stuff too.
One of my favourite ways to eat healthy during the day is to make homemade muesli bars. These are the best mid-morning snack… or at 4pm when you’re ready to inhale an entire block of chocolate. I’ve shared a few muesli bar recipes on the blog in the past like this one, this one and this one, but my new soft & chewy homemade muesli bars recipe is by far my favourite! It makes the most oh-so-delicious muesli bars, and best of all… they’re packed full of super healthy stuff (very technical terms are clearly used on this blog!).
I was lucky enough to be sent some Pure Harvest products to try out and I used their rice malt syrup and organic muesli in these bars (you can buy these in most supermarkets). I also used some peanut butter I’d made at home, but store-bought would work beautifully too. If you’re not a fan of cacao nibs then just use chocolate baking chips in their place. And if you’re planning on sending them to school in lunch-boxes just check whether the school is nut-free and if so, add a little more oats and dried fruit and substitute the peanut butter for a nut-free alternative such as tahini.
Happy healthy baking everyone! xxx
Soft & Chewy Homemade Muesli Bars
- 1 2/3 cup Pure Harvest Organic Muesli or rolled oats
- 1 cup rice bubbles or any puffed rice
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter almond butter or any other nut butter would also be fine
- 1/2 cup Pure Harvest rice malt syrup or honey
- 1 cup seed and nut trail mix
- 1/2 cup cranberries sultanas or other dried fruit
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius (160 if using fan forced).
- Line a rectangular slice tin with baking paper.
- Leave some paper hanging over the edge so that the bars will be easier to remove from the pan.
- Melt the coconut oil, peanut butter and rice malt syrup in short bursts on medium heat in the microwave (or on the stovetop).
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the rolled oats, flour, coconut, seed and nut trail mix and dried fruit and mix well to combine.
- Add the puffed rice and cacao nibs and gently mix together.
- Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- *If you like, you can drizzle some melted chocolate over the slice once it's out of the oven.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into bars.
Soft & Chewy Muesli Bars Thermomix Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius (160 if using fan forced).
2. Line a rectangular slice tin with baking paper.
3. Leave some paper hanging over the edge so that the bars will be easier to remove from the pan.
4. Melt the coconut oil, peanut butter and rice malt syrup on 90 degrees, reverse speed 2 for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add in the salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla and mix on 90 degrees, reverse speed 2 for 1 minute or until the sugar has dissolved.
6. Add the rolled oats, flour, coconut, seed and nut trail mix and dried fruit and mix on reverse speed 4 for 20 seconds.
7. Add the puffed rice and cacao nibs and gently mix together on reverse speed 2 for 20 seconds (you may need to use the spatula to make sure it is all mixed together.
8. Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
9. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
*If you like, you can drizzle some melted chocolate over the slice once it’s out of the oven.
10. Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into bars.
Terms and Conditions:
Please note that this competition has now closed
The name of the promotion is: Pureharvest Blog Competition. The promoter is Bake Play Smile in conjunction with Pureharvest. The conditions of entry: answer 1 question, 1 entry per person. Employees, immediate family members, retailers, suppliers, associated companies and agencies are not eligible to enter. The giveaway will close on July 19th at 8pm. Comments submitted after this time will not be considered for the giveaway. This is a game of skill. The winner will be awarded based on the strength of their answer to the question ‘what is an idea for a recipe you would make using Pureharvest Organic Oats?’. The prize will be in the form of product which will be sent to the winner once address details have been provided after the competition has closed. The results of the giveaway will be published on this site on July 21st, 2014. Prizes are not redeemable for cash and are non-transferable. The total prize value is $50.00. The competition is open to Australian residents only. If for any reason beyond the Promoter’s control the agreed prize is not available a product of equal or greater value will be provided. The Promoter is not responsible for prizes once they have been dispatched to the winner.