Want to smuggle some extra vegetables into your children’s lunch boxes? These healthy ‘Veggie Smuggling’ Savoury Muffins are just what you need!
A couple of weeks ago I asked everyone on the Bake Play Smile Facebook page what kind of recipes they wanted to see more of on the blog. Talk about great ideas!! You guys are a very clever bunch. If I was lacking inspiration before, I certainly had my mind racing a zillion miles an hour afterwards, thinking about all of the recipe possibilities. Hehe yep I’m a little sad like that! Anyway, there were definitely a few common themes with your ideas… healthy lunchbox snacks (sweet and savoury), easy dinners, soups, slices and biscuits, slow cooker meals and finally, recipes that get kids eating more vegetables.
So, I’m going to combine a couple of those things with these ‘Veggie Smuggling’ Savoury Muffins. Lunchbox savoury snack = sorted. Sneaky vegetable recipe = sorted!! I love that these muffins are so versatile. This is the recipe I have used for years, but you can easily switch and change the veggies depending on what you have sitting in the fridge. For a little bit of a fancier version, sundried tomatoes, feta and baby spinach work beautifully. But lets keep it simple (and kid-friendly) here!
These ‘Veggie Smuggling’ Savoury Muffins are super-duper delish straight out of the oven smothered in a bit of butter, but are also perfect for lunch boxes. I know that I get very bored with having the same old thing for lunch every single day, so these make a yummy and healthy alternative. Oh and one of my favourite ways to eat these muffins is served with a big bowl of soup… talk about veggie overload!
One of the best things about these muffins is that they are totally freezable! Just wrap them individually in glad wrap and foil or place into a ziplock bag and pop into the freezer. That way, you can just grab them out in the morning and they will be defrosted by lunchtime (they’re even better if you pop them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds just before eating to warm them up again!). Perfect for mornings when there is no bread in the house… or anytime to make lunch!
'Veggie Smuggling' Savoury Muffins
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 150 g grated tasty cheese
- 100 g ham chopped
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 1/2 red capsicum grated
- 125 g tin corn kernals or frozen, drained
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fruit chutney
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Grease a 12 hole standard muffin pan.
Line the bottom of each hole with baking paper or use paper cases.
Sift flour into a large bowl.
Add cheese, ham, zucchini, carrot, capsicum and corn.
Whisk milk, egg and chutney in a jug until well combined.
Make a well in centre of dry ingredients.
Pour in milk mixture.
Using a large metal spoon, gently mix until just combined.
Spoon into muffin holes.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Stand in pan for 5 minutes.
Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
‘Veggie Smuggling’ Savoury Muffins – Thermomix Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Grease a 12 hole standard muffin pan.
3. Line the bottom of each hole with baking paper or use paper cases.
4. Add cheese, ham, zucchini, carrot and capsicum to the thermomix bowl.
5. Pulse 4-5 times or until grated (but not mush!!)
6. Add corn and flour and mix on Reverse Speed Soft for 20 seconds or until combined.
7. Whisk milk, egg and chutney in a jug until well combined.
8. Pour liquid into thermomix bowl.
9. Mix on Reverse Speed soft for 20 seconds or until just combined.
10. Spoon into muffin holes.
11. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
12. Stand in pan for 5 minutes.
13. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
14. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.