This quick & easy zucchini slice with bacon and cheese is such a family favourite! With only 10 minutes prep time, dinner will be on the table in a flash!
Zucchinis are one of those things that when they’re in season, they’re either absolutely overflowing in your vegetable garden or super cheap at the supermarket. Thanks to my husband (and in no part thanks to me… the worlds worst gardener), we usually have a veggie garden that is bursting with zucchinis. They just seem to multiply before your very eyes. Oh and if you forget to check them for a few days (yep, that’s me), suddenly they’re the size of a cricket bat! Anyway, all of these zucchinis can only mean one thing… lots and lots of quick & easy zucchini slice.
This is my go-to zucchini slice recipe. Sometimes I like to be a bit fancy and add other bits and pieces to my slice, but to be honest, I think this plain and simple version would have to be my fave. That’s always the way isn’t it – the easiest things are usually the best things too.
So to make my easy zucchini slice, all you need is a few basic ingredients. In fact, most of them you’ll already have at home which saves you an extra trip to the supermarket. Plus, all of the ingredients are really budget-friendly, meaning you can make this slice (and then feel slightly less guilty for buying that winter jacket that you ‘needed’… ahem there’s a chance that may have just been me).
Anyway! The reason I love this recipe so much is that you just chop/grate everything, mix it all together and pop it in the oven. Seriously the prep will take you 10 minutes… which is nothing! That’s like the same amount of time it takes to hang out the washing, clean the shower or do the dishes (ugh – clearly I’m all about the fun jobs today!!).
But no really, if you want a basic and easy zucchini slice recipe that the whole family will love, then this is definitely the recipe for you. If you’re really clever (which you sooooo are), why not make a big double batch and freeze the individual slices for a ‘grab and go’ lunch!
Does your vegetable garden go crazy with zucchinis too? And more importantly, did you marry well and find yourself a hubby who is handy in the garden??
- 5 eggs
- 150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 60 g (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 100 g cheese grated
- 375 g zucchini grated
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 3 bacon rashers chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- Grease a 20 x 30cm rectangular baking tin and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Place the eggs into a large bowl and whisk well.
- Add the self-raising flour and oil and whisk until smooth.
- Add the grated cheese, zucchini, onion and bacon and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through (you can test if it's ready by inserting a skewer into the middle or pressing lightly onto the top).
- Place the cheese into the Thermomix bowl and grate on 5 seconds, Speed 8. Set aside.
- Place the zucchini and onion into the Thermomix bowl and grate for 5 seconds, Speed 6.
- Add the bacon and grate for an additional 5 seconds, Speed 5.
- Add the eggs, self-raising flour, oil, grated cheese and salt and pepper. Mix for 10-15 seconds, Speed 4 (use the spatula to help mix).
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through (you can test by inserting a skewer into the middle or pressing lightly onto the top).