These Homemade Sausage Rolls that are packed with vegetables (but shhhh no-one will know!). Freezer friendly and great for lunch boxes too!
It’s hard to think of a more popular savoury snack than Homemade Sausage Rolls! Well that’s true in our household anyway. I love that they are easy to make, and no matter what ingredients you decide to pop in, they always end up tasting super delicious. And if you have kids (or in my case, a husband) then you can jam pack them with vegetables and nobody will even notice!
And how do I like my sausage rolls you may ask??? Hot with crispy pastry dunked into heaps of tomato sauce, of course… yep I’m one classy gal.
Over the years I have experimented with heaps of different sausage roll recipes but I really think it’s hard to beat the classic version. I love to pop sesame seeds on the top of mine because it reminds me of the yummy sausage rolls you buy at bakeries and cafes (see I told you I’m classy!).
So if you are looking for a perfect snack or weekend lunch then make sure you try my Homemade Sausage Rolls. And if you want to be extra classy like me, then I suggest whipping out your ugg boots, hopping onto the couch and devouring them while watching The Real Housewives of Melbourne! Does that not sound like bliss… in a weird kinda way??
How do you like your sausage rolls?
Homemade Sausage Rolls
- 50 grams breadcrumbs
- 400 grams sausage mince
- 250 g mince pork, lamb, veal, beef or chicken
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 1 extra egg beaten
- 3 tbs sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced.
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Grate the carrot and zucchini and then squeeze any excess moisture out.
- Pop into a large bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs, garlic, egg, sausage mince, chopped onion and sauces.
- Mix well to combine.
- Cut pastry sheets in half.
- Place a long narrow strip of the sausage mix along the edge of the pastry.
- Brush opposite edge with the beaten egg.
- Roll up pastry to enclose filling and cut into thirds.
- Place, seam-side down, on prepared tray.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and pastry.
- Brush sausage roll tops with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Cool on tray for 5 minutes.
Homemade Sausage Rolls – Thermomix instructions:
Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced.
Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
Place garlic, onion and carrot in bowl for 4 seconds on speed 7.
Add the zucchini for a further 3 seconds on speed 5.
Add in the sauces, egg, breadcrumbs and sausage mince and pork/veal/lamb or chicken mince and mix 10-15 seconds on reverse speed 4 until combined.
Cut pastry sheets in half.
Place a long narrow strip of the sausage mix along the edge of the pastry.
Brush opposite edge with the beaten egg.
Roll up pastry to enclose filling and cut into thirds.
Place, seam-side down, on prepared tray.
Repeat with remaining mixture and pastry.
Brush sausage roll tops with beaten egg.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and puffed.
Cool on tray for 5 minutes.