If you love lemons, then you’re going to LOVE these Creamy Lemon Crumble Bars with an oaty base, creamy lemon filling and crunchy crumble on top!
I don’t usually like to play favourites, but this time I’m going to! This is by far one of my favourite recipes of all time. It’s no secret that I love lemons (I was one of those weird kids who would happily suck on a lemon… so strange!). And I’ve always loved making Lemon and Coconut Slice, but sometimes it’s nice to have a little change. A lemony change, if you will.
In a delicious little sugar-filled world, these Lemon Crumble Bars are the bomb. They have a beautiful oaty base, the most amazing creamy lemon centre and a crunchy crumble topping. Does it get any better than that!?
The best thing about these bars is that as they cook, the lemony centre becomes almost the same kind of texture as a baked cheesecake (and do not even get me started on my love of cheesecake!).
This Lemon Crumble Slice is absolutely perfect on it’s own… or you could go totally wild and serve it warm with a drizzle of custard or a scoop of ice cream. I personally prefer the wild option!
Can I give you a little tip? If you want really neat little squares, then you need to let the slice sit in the fridge overnight before you cut it. If you’re not fussed with how it looks, then feel free to slice it after an hour or two. But please, please, if you can, leave it in the fridge overnight. There’s nothing better than a neatly cut slice (sorry, that’s my OCD coming out!).
So there you have it – my new favourite recipe! Move over Lemon and Coconut Slice, I have a brand new bestie!
- 1¼ cups (155g) plain flour
- 1¼ cups (110g) rolled oats
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bi-carb soda
- ½ cup (100g) raw sugar
- ½ cup (80g) packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 X 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (approximately 1 lemon)
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (160 degrees if fan forced).
- Grease and line a 17X28cm slice tray with baking paper, allowing the edges to overhang.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, rolled oats, salt and bi-carb soda.
- Stir in the raw sugar and brown sugar and mix until smooth.
- Stir vanilla into melted butter and pour mixture over dry ingredients.
- Stir mixture until well combined.
- Pop half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared tin and press into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and put aside (leave the oven turned on).
- In a bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon extract until well blended.
- Pour mixture over crumb crust in baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the top of the lemon layer.
- Bake in oven for 23 - 26 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight) then take it out and cut into squares.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Creamy Lemon Crumble Bars – Thermomix Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (160 degrees if fan forced)
2. Grease and line a 17X28cm slice tray with baking paper, allowing the edges to overhang.
2. Melt the butter and vanilla in the TM bowl for 3 minutes, Speed 2, 50 degrees.
3. Add the plain flour, rolled oats, salt, bi-carb soda, brown sugar and raw sugar.
4. Mix for 20 seconds on Reverse, Speed 2.
5. Scrape down the sides.
6. Mix for a further 20 seconds on Reverse, Speed 2.
7. Spread half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the prepared tray and press firmly into an even layer.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
9. Remove from oven and put aside (leave the oven turned on).
10. Place the zest of 1 lemon into the TM bowl.
11. Grate for 20 seconds on Speed 6.
12. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
13. Repeat steps 13-14 until you have a very finely grated zest.
14. Add the condensed milk, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon extract and mix for 30 seconds, Speed 4.
15. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for a further 30 seconds, Speed 4.
16. Pour mixture over crumb crust in baking dish and spread into an even layer.
17. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the top of the lemon layer.
18. Bake in oven for 23 – 26 minutes or until lightly golden.
19. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
20. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight) then take it out and cut into squares.
21. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.