These little mixed berry pies are the perfect winter dessert… just 10 minutes preparation time and baked in a standard muffin tin! They couldn’t be easier (or yummier!).
Bake Play Smile over the past few weeks has been absolutely taken over by 3 thing…
…. which can mean only 1 thing…. it’s FREEZING and I neeeeed comfort food!!!!
And boy oh boy… these Mixed Berry Pies are the ultimate comfort food. They’ve got the sweetest berry filling and the crunchiest shortcrust pastry base and top.
But best of all, they’re SO simple to make, they’re freezer-friendly and everyone in your family will think you’re the world best person for making them. Promise.
I used frozen berries for my filling, but you can pick and choose whatever type of frozen berries you like (blueberry pies are also a favourite in our house).
The filling for these mini Mixed Berry Pies is the easiest thing ever to make! You just pop the ingredients (frozen berries, caster sugar, cornflour and vanilla extract) into a bowl, stir it all together and then spoon it into the pastry bases. Too easy, right!? Oooh and just wait til you cook these babies and some of the yummy berry filling comes spilling out. Best. Thing. Ever.
Mixed Berry Pies
- 2 cups mixed berries frozen
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 sheets shortcrust pastry defrosted
- 1 egg beaten
- extra sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan-forced). Lightly grease 6 holes in a standard muffin tin and set aside.
- Place the frozen mixed berries, caster sugar cornflour and vanilla extract into a bowl and mix together until the sugar and cornflour have coated the berries). If using a Thermomix, mix on Reverse, Speed 3, 6 seconds or until combined.
- Cut 6 circles from the shortcrust pastry sheets (large enough to cover the base and sides of the muffin holes). Press the circles into the muffin holes.
- Fill the muffin holes 3/4 of the way to the top with the berry mixture.
- Cut small thin strips of the leftover shortcrust pastry and place over the top of the muffins in a criss-cross pattern. Press the pastry strips into the pastry base.
- Brush the pastry with egg and sprinkle over some extra sugar.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving with ice-cream or cream.