A super cute Easter bunny cake hack made from store-bought unfilled sponge cakes, frosting, macarons, Easter eggs, mini meringues & more!
A 20 minute Easter cake hack
I absolutely love, love, LOVE a cake hack! If you’re not familiar with the term, it’s basically where you take a few shortcuts to make a gorgeous looking cake.
In this cake hack, we use store-bought unfilled sponge cakes to create the outline of an Easter bunny face and ears. It’s so simple… and is a total Easter showstopper.
How to make an Easter Bunny cake
Step 1 – Cut a circle out of the middle of a round unfilled sponge cake.
You can use any brand of sponge cake you like. This one was bought from Woolworths in the bakery aisle.
Step 2 – Cut the bunny ears out of a rectangular sponge cake
If you’re super clever, you can use a knife and cut the bunny ears out free hand. But if you’re like me, you might want to draw them onto a piece of paper, cut them out and use them as a template on your sponge. If you’re not keen on drawing the ears yourself, you can always Google a bunny ears outline and print it out.
Step 3 – Spread frosting over the entire top of the cakes
You can use absolutely any type of frosting you like. You can make your own or use a store-bought tub of frosting.
Step 4 – Decorate the top of the cakes
The idea of this cake hack is to decorate the Easter bunny in a pretty pastel Easter theme. You can mix it up with some fresh flowers or fresh berries if you like!
What we used to decorate the Easter bunny cake
- macarons (I bought these from my local supermarket)
- mini meringues
- chocolate mini Easter eggs (I used Oreo filled eggs)
- mini white chocolate Easter eggs (I used Cadbury Dream)
- mini speckled Easter eggs
- mini M&Ms or Smarties
How to store a sponge cake
This cake (like all sponge cakes) is best eaten on the day of serving… and given it only takes 20 minutes to make, usually you’ll be able to do just that!
But if you do need to make it the day before, store it in an airtight container in the fridge and then allow to come to room temperature before serving.
It’s just the cutest little Easter cake right?? And the best part is that it is SO, SO simple!
Happy Easter! xxx
More Easter cake hacks
I really do love a cake hack, so please feel free to check out my other recipes too:
Easter Bunny Cake Hack
- 1 rectangular unfilled sponge cake (approx 450g)
- 1 round unfilled sponge cake
- 1 1/2 cups frosting (see notes)
- 125 g mini speckled Easter eggs
- 8 macarons
- 100 g mini meringues
- 125 g mini white chocolate Easter eggs
- 125 g mini chocolate Easter eggs
- 50 g mini M&Ms or mini Smarties
- Place the rectangular sponge on a flat board. Cut out two large bunny ear shapes and set aside (see notes).
- Place a small round bowl or ramekin in the centre of the round sponge cake and use a sharp knife to cut a circle out.
- On a large serving board, arrange the round sponge and the two ears into a bunny shape.
- Spread the frosting over the entire top of the bunny.
- Decorate with mini speckled Easter eggs, macarons, mini meringues, mini white chocolate Easter eggs, chocolate Easter eggs and mini M&Ms.
- This cake is best served on the same day (see notes).