Our classic 3 ingredient Chocolate & Caramel Butternut Snap Tartlets take just 10 minutes to make and taste AMAZING!
A simple 3 ingredient chocolate caramel treat made using the iconic Arnott's butternut snap biscuits ... and they'll be ready in just 10 minutes!
What you need to make caramel butternut snap tartlets ( ... just 3 ingredients!)
- Arnott's butternut snap biscuits (see the recipe notes below for alternatives)
- Nestle caramel Top N Fill
- melted milk or dark chocolate
I also used some gold sugar to decorate ... totally unnecessary of course, but very cute!
How to make caramel & chocolate butternut tartlets in less than 10 minutes (including some tips and tricks!)
This is actually one of the easiest recipes ever to make... but there are a few tricks you need to know first!
How to soften the biscuits without them breaking
To soften the biscuits, you need to heat them in the oven on a patty pan tin for just a couple of minutes. While they're still warm, press them down lightly into the base of the patty pan holes with your fingers. If they're starting to crack, they need a tiny bit longer in the oven to soften.
Once you've got the biscuits out of the oven, they'll start to harden up really quickly (which will make them impossible to press down into the tins). So I recommend heating batches of 6 biscuits at a time (especially if this is your first time making them).
How to get the Caramel Top N Fill smooth and creamy
Spoon the thick caramel into a bowl and whisk it until smooth... that's it!
Fill the tartlets while they're still in the patty pan tin
I find it easiest to fill the tartlets with the caramel and melted chocolate while they're still in the patty pan tin. Due to the round shape of the base, they'll wobble and roll a little when they're not in the tin (which is absolutely fine once they've set... but not great when you're dealing with melted chocolate and slightly runny caramel!).
What is Nestle Caramel Top n Fill and what can I use as a substitute?
Nestle Caramel Top N Fill is a ready to use caramel that's bought in a tin. It's a thick caramel that's perfect for filling tarts, slices and desserts. You can buy it from the sweetened condensed milk section of any major supermarket in Australia.
Once you've opened the tin, spoon the caramel into a bowl and whisk it until smooth and creamy. It's soooo easy to use (and tastes great!).
If you can't find Nestle Caramel Top N Fill, you can use any store-bought or homemade caramel you like... as long as it's a very thick caramel. If it's thin, it will run and won't stay put in your biscuit shells.
How to store caramel butternut snap tartlets
Store these little beauties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The biscuits will soften over time, but will still be delicious. Storing the butternut snap tartlets in the fridge will help to keep the caramel thick and the chocolate set!
More caramel dessert recipes
I absolutely love caramel desserts (and really... who doesn't!?). Here's a few more of my favourite caramel recipes.
3 ingredient Chocolate & Caramel Butternut Snap Tartlets
- 250 g Arnotts Butternut Snap Cookies see notes
- 380 g Nestle Caramel Top N Fill
- 200 g milk chocolate melted
- gold sugar to decorate, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- In batches (see notes), place 6 biscuits over each hole of a twelve hole patty pan tin. Bake for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from the oven and then quickly and carefully press softened biscuits into the patty pan holes. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the biscuits from the patty pan tin and set aside on a serving plate. Repeat the process with the remaining biscuits in batches of 6.
- Place the Caramel Top N Fill into a bowl and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the caramel filling into the biscuit moulds and top with a small amount of melted chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.