‘Brownies in a Jar’ make the perfect homemade gift for a teacher, friend or neighbour. Includes a free printable recipe label gift tag.
‘Brownies in a Jar’ are one of my very favourite homemade gifts to make (especially at Christmas time!). They’re such a thoughtful, unique little present… plus they’re budget-friendly too – which is handy if you’re making a few!!
How to make ‘Brownies in a Jar’
It is SO easy to make these clever little homemade foodie gifts. To start off you’ll need a 1 litre glass jar (see below for tips on where to buy them). Then it’s simply a matter of layering in the dry ingredients, printing out the gift tag… and that. is. it!
Top Tips for making ‘Brownies in a Jar’
- If you’re making multiple jars, line them all up in a row and place the first ingredient in each of them and then repeat with the remaining ingredients (a bit like a little production line).
- Have a clean dry cloth on hand to wipe down any excess flour from the glass etc as you go (this step is absolutely not necessary but it helps to give you nice straight lines).
- Use a spoon to carefully add each of the ingredients to the jar.
- If you have a bit of room at the top of the jar, simply add in some extra walnuts.
Where can I buy the glass jars?
I’m in Australia and I’ve found that you can usually buy 1 litre glass jars from Kmart, most $2 shops or discount stores.
Free Printable Gift Tag for ‘Brownies in a Jar’
Click here to download your free printable gift tags (alternatively you can handwrite your own tag).
Brownies in a Jar
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 100 g walnuts, roughly chopped
To make 'brownies in a jar' you'll need a 1 litre glass jar.
In a small bowl, mix the plain flour, salt and baking powder together.
Carefully spoon half of the flour mixture into the bottom of the glass jar. Gently move the flour around so that you have an even layer.
Spoon the cocoa powder on top of the plain flour in the jar and spread around to create another even layer.
Spoon the remaining flour mixture over the top.
Continue to create the layers in the following order - brown sugar, caster sugar, milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and finally walnuts.
Close the lid of the glass jar (if you have any extra space at the top of the jar, simply top up with extra walnuts).
Print out our free recipe gift tag and attach to the jar with a ribbon (see notes). I
If you would prefer to handwrite your own gift tag rather than use our free printable, simply write: Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Place all ingredients into a large bowl. Add 150g of melted butter & 3 lightly beaten eggs. Mix well. Pour the brownie batter into an 18X28cm baking tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
To create even layers in the jar, use a spoon to gently add each layer of ingredients. You can also use a dry tea towel or paper towel to wipe down the inside of the glass as you go.