- 1 whole chicken approx 4 pounds or 2 kilograms
- 4 red potatoes chopped into large pieces
- 2 large carrots chopped into large pieces
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
Chop the vegetables and place into the base of the slow cooker.
Add the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
Dry the chicken with paper towel and ensure that any giblets have been removed from inside the chicken.
Place the chicken on top of the vegetables (breast side up).
Drizzle the chicken with olive oil.
Make the seasoning by adding all ingredients to a small bowl and mixing to combine. Sprinkle over the chicken and rub in gently.
Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7-8 hours (see recipe notes for getting a crispy skin).
- Vegetable Options - in this recipe I used some classic roast vegetables (potatoes, carrots and red onion), but you can use any vegetables you like (parsnip, sweet potato, capsicum, swede are all great options too).
- Firm vs Soft Vegetables - the vegetables will cook quite soft in the slow cooker. If you'd like them to stay a little firmer, cut them into larger chunks. You can also add softer vegetables such as capsicum and carrot partway through the cooking time.
- Cooking Time - this recipe can be cooked on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours. However, it's a very forgiving recipe, so it won't matter if it's cooked a little longer.
- Crispy Skin (Optional) - if you'd like a crispy skin on your chicken, cook it as per the recipe in the slow cooker. After the cooking time has finished, remove the lid, brush the chicken with olive oil and place the crockpot into the oven on grill/broil for 5-10 minutes.
Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 1000mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3960IU | Vitamin C: 17.6mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2.5mg