- 120 g rocket
- 2 small pears cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnuts lightly toasted
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs balsamic glaze see notes
Layer the rocket, pear, parmesan and walnuts into a large serving dish or bowl.
Drizzle over the balsamic glaze just before serving and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
RECIPE NOTES & TIPS
More Recipe Tips:
Storing - This salad is best consumed on the day it is prepared, however, it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours. If you’re not serving it immediately, leave the dressing off until just before serving.
Ingredient substitutions - this salad is so versatile. See my substitution suggestions in the recipe post above.
- rocket – also known as arugula, roquette or rucula. This gives the salad an incredible peppery, fresh flavour.
- pear – use a firm variety of pear – such as packham, corella, Asian pear or bosc. There’s no need to peel the pear before using. Simply cut into thin slices and remove the core.
- parmesan – I recommend using shaved parmesan (flat, thin pieces of parmesan cheese). You can buy pre-shaved parmesan in a bag from the supermarket or shave your own.
- walnuts – lightly toast the walnuts before adding to the salad. This brings out their ultimate crunchy texture and nutty flavour.
- balsamic glaze – personally I like using balsamic glaze (that you can buy in the dressing aisle of the supermarket). It’s a sweet, thick and sticky liquid that is great for this salad. It gives the salad the perfect amount of flavour but without any soggyness (which can happen when using balsamic vinegar and olive oil).
Calories: 211kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 134mg | Potassium: 239mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 562IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 1mg