- 2 sheets puff pastry defrosted
- 150 g roasted pumpkin chopped
- 80 g feta cheese crumbled into chunks
- 4 eggs
- 100 g milk or cream
- sea salt and pepper to season
- 4 tsp caramelised onion
- rosemary sprigs fresh
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
Place the puff pastry sheets over a loose bottomed tart tin and trim the edges.
Place the roasted pumpkin chunks and feta cheese onto the pastry.
Add the eggs, milk, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix until well combined (if using a Thermomix, mix on Speed 4 for 20 seconds).
Pour the egg mixture over top of the pumpkin and feta.
Swirl through the caramelised onion and sprinkle over the fresh rosemary (optional).
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
RECIPE NOTES & TIPS
More Recipe Tips:
Freezing - Wrap the tart tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and keep it in the freezer up to 1 month. Be aware that it may lose a bit of its texture when reheated, but it will still be tasty!
Storing - Keep this pumpkin tart stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven on a low temperature until heated through.
Ingredient substitutes - This recipe is great with any leftover vegetables you might have. You can even leave out the pumpkin and just have an onion and feta tart. This is also delicious with bacon, pancetta or prosciutto.
Pastry alternative - you can also make this tart using a store-bought pie crust in place of the puff pastry. Pie crust and a puff pastry have different textures. A puff pastry “puffs” up when cooking, making it more flaky, while a pie crust is more solid.
- puff pastry – making your own puff pastry is not an easy task! Luckily for us, prepackaged frozen puff pastry is absolutely delicious and perfect for this recipe. Save yourself the time and stress and simply buy some frozen puff pastry sheets next time you’re at the supermarket.
- roasted pumpkin – cut into chunks. If you’ve never roasted pumpkin before, here’s how.
- feta cheese – use either a chunk that you’ve crumbled or store-bought feta crumbles
- eggs – use large eggs (approximately 55g)
- milk or cream – use full cream milk or thickened pouring cream for this recipe. Cream will give the tart the ultimate creamy texture (and it’s my personal favourite!)
- caramelised onion – you can either caramelise your own onions or use a jar of store-bought caramelised onions. There are such good quality brands of caramelised onion available, so you certainly won’t be skimping on flavour if that’s the option you choose. My personal favourite is Berenberg brand but you can absolutely use any brand you like.
- rosemary sprigs – optional, but adds an extra burst of flavour. Just make sure you remove the woody stems before using!
Calories: 512kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 349mg | Potassium: 238mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3.5mg