So now that I am on my little health kick before we go on holidays, I thought I would make a healthy vegetable and quinoa slice. And I’m going to be totally upfront and honest… until a few months ago I was saying quinoa very wrong (as in qu-in-o-a… hey, in my defence I am a teacher so I like to sound things out!), and then I found out that it is actually said as keen-wa!!
Anyway, who really cares how it is said! The bottom line is that it’s healthy and tasty. And if you are like me and often feel bloated and yuck after eating white rice, then quinoa is for you! It’s easy to make and can be used in sooo many different things – salads, soups, slices etc.
This slice is a great way to use up vegies in the fridge and can really be mixed and matched depending on whatever you have on hand (we all know I am a fan of limiting trips to the supermarket!). It also freezes well, which makes it perfect for an easy lunch or dinner! Very yummy with a bit of sweet chilli sauce or relish on top too.
Such a super quick and easy slice to prepare – all it involves is adding the vegies and garlic to a frypan and cooking for a couple of minutes.
In a bowl mix some herbs, cooked quinoa, cottage cheese and eggs and stir until combined.
Add the vegies and mix together. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour into a lightly greased baking dish and cook for 60 minutes in a 180 degree oven.
Very yumz and super healthy for lunch or a light dinner…. perfect pre-holiday food too!
Quinoa and Vegetable Bake... can you get a much healthier lunch than this?
- Bag of spinach wilted and chopped
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 red capsicum diced
- Handful of semi-dried tomatoes chopped
- Handful of fresh herbs chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Lightly spray baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a frypan, then add veggies and garlic.
- Saute until softened then transfer to a medium bowl.
- To the bowl, add the herbs, quinoa, cottage cheese and eggs, and stir until well combined.
- Season to taste.
- Pour mix into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until set.
- Slice and serve!