This Bolognese & Spinach One Pot Pasta is definitely on regular rotation at our house at the moment. So simple, so delicious and quick!
OMG. OMG. OMG. You must make this!! If you’re anything like me and hate doing dishes, then you will love this Bolognese & Spinach One Pot Pasta! It’s all made in one pot which means hardly any dishes to do afterwards (yay). Now, I must admit that I was a little unsure of how this recipe would turn out and whether the flavours in the bolognese would develop as much as they do when you make the sauce the traditional way and let it simmer for an hour or so to really get those flavours happening. Well, I can tell you that this is awesome. Totally amazing. Both my husband and I said that we actually preferred it to my normal bolognese recipe. And considering that it’s far less time consuming, this recipe makes me one very happy girl.
Considering you just chuck the uncooked pasta shells into the simmering bolognese sauce, I was a little worried that the pasta wouldn’t cook enough and would stay gritty. Well you need not worry at all. The pasta did need to simmer for a bit longer than you would usually boil it for, but gosh it had such a better flavour. And I suppose that makes sense! When you cook pasta in salted water, it takes on that flavour (and can sometimes be a little flavourless). But when you cook it in the bolognese sauce, my god, it takes on all of the beautiful, rich, tomatoey flavours and is just so, so much better! I just did a little taste test a couple of times until it was al dente. Who doesn’t love a sneaky little taste test!
When it comes to vegetables, this Bolognese & Spinach One Pot Pasta has onion, carrots and a whole bag of baby spinach. If you were wanting to make this meal go even further, there’s absolutely no reason you couldn’t add in some extra vegetables like zucchini, capsicum or corn. If you’re adding in extra vegetables, just make sure you add a little extra stock too.
So pour yourself a glass of wine, stir your pot of yummy Bolognese & Spinach One Pot Pasta and then kick back and enjoy this rich, delicious dinner… all the while knowing you have hardly any dishes to do afterwards!!
Bolognese & Spinach One Pot Pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 small carrots or 1 large, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves 2 tsp of minced garlic in a jar is fine too, crushed
- 500 g beef mince
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 700 ml btl tomato pasta sauce
- 500 ml (2 cup) beef stock
- 1 tsp parsley fresh or dried
- 1 tsp oregano fresh or dried
- 400 g dried pasta I used penne
- 100 g baby spinach washed
- Shaved parmesan to serve
- Salt and pepper to season optional
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, carrot and garlic for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Turn the heat up to high.
- Stir in the mince for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the tomato paste, pasta sauce, stock, parsley and oregano.
- Bring sauce to the boil.
- Stir in pasta.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, covered, stirring regularly, for 20-25 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
- Add the spinach and stir.
- Serve with parmesan and optional salt and pepper.