You need this ‘Loaded Potato Salad’ recipe in your life! It’s packed with crispy bacon, egg and red onion and covered in a delicious creamy dressing!
So with Australia Day coming up very soon, I though there was no better time than to share my favourite potato salad recipe. I like to call this my ‘Loaded Potato Salad’ because it’s packed full of so many yummy things! Everyone has their own favourite potato salad recipe, and this one is definitely my fave. So whether you’re hosting an Australia Day BBQ or packing a picnic to take to the beach, this ‘Loaded Potato Salad’ really, really needs to come along too.
What makes this potato salad so good? Think creamy, delicious potato, covered in crispy bacon, yummy chunks of egg, little bites of red onion and of course, a kick-ass dressing. If you like a little extra colour in your potato salad, then why not add some chopped up spring onion. When I make my ‘Loaded Potato Salad’, I always cook a little extra bacon to sprinkle over the top. See it really is loaded up with goodies, right?!
The dressing is made with sour cream, mayo and paprika. You can always leave the paprika out if you prefer, but please don’t! It tastes so good and really adds the ‘wow factor’ to your dressing.
This yummy little thing can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until you’re ready – super handy if you’re having a BBQ (because who on earth wants to be in the kitchen when you can be doing all those other super important things… like socialising…. or having a glass of champas).
So I say, enjoy this beautiful summer weather, make a big bowl of delicious ‘Loaded Potato Salad’ and then get your hubby/partner/friend/ANYONE to cook you a BBQ while you kick back and relax (I may just have to leave the computer screen open to this so Dave gets the hint).
Loaded Potato Salad
- 5 large potatoes peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 250 g short cut bacon chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika add more or less depending on your preference
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water for 10 minutes or until just cooked through (you don't want to overcook them or they'll go mushy!).
- Drain the potatoes completely and them place into the fridge for 30 minutes - 1hr to cool completely.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and cook the bacon over a high heat until crispy. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and then reduce to medium heat to gently boil for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the eggs and rinse them under cold water. When they are cool enough, peel and chop into 8 pieces. Set aside.
- Finely chop the red onion and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise and paprika together.
- Place the cooled potatoes into a large serving bowl.
- Add the bacon (reserving 1/4 cup to sprinkle over the top), egg and red onion.
- Gently mix through the dressing until the potatoes are well covered.
- Sprinkle the remaining bacon over the top of the salad.
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge until needed.