Lemon & Date Slice is such a classic recipe – this one has been made over and over again and is absolutely delicious. It has a coconut and date base topped with a beautiful tangy lemon icing… afternoon tea perfection!
When I was little, Mum used to make this exact Lemon & Date Slice recipe and it was definitely one of my favourites. There’s just something so good about a coconut and date base with delicious lemon icing – even if you don’t particularly like dates, you’ll be surprised how much you love this!
I really do think that classic recipes are usually the best ones… which probably explains my weird obsession with old, yellowed cookbooks that have been passed down over the years. This is definitely one of those ‘classics’… it’s a pity you can’t see how old and yellow this recipe is – it’s certainly not hard to tell that it’s been made a zillion times! And I must say that I do love a handwritten recipe. You just know that if someone went to the effort to write out a recipe then it has to be pretty special to them. Nowadays it’s all about recipe apps, ebooks and Pinterest!
Back to the slice… if you’re like me and love lemon slice (like really, really, LOOOVE lemon slice) then I think you’ll love this too! It’s a really nice, fresh change, while still keeping the tangy deliciousness that makes lemon slice so darn good!
Lemon & Date Slice
- I cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 125 gm butter
- 1 tbs golden syrup
- 2 cups pure icing sugar
- 20 g butter softened
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Extra coconut for sprinkling optional
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (170 if using fan-forced).
- Grease and line a square slice tray or sponge roll tin with baking paper.
- Melt butter and golden syrup together on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and add the coconut, chopped dates and caster sugar.
- Pour over the melted butter and golden syrup.
- Mix well.
- Press firmly into slice tin.
- Place into the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- To make the lemon icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter and lemon juice.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and combined.
- Spread icing over warm slice.
- Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until icing has set.
- Cut into pieces. Serve.
2. Grease and line a square slice tray or sponge roll tin with baking paper.
6. Mix well on Reverse, Speed 2 for 10-15 seconds or until combined.
7. Press firmly into slice tin.
8. Place into the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
9. To make the lemon icing, sift icing sugar into the TM bowl and add the butter and lemon juice.
10. Beat on Speed 5 for 30 seconds until smooth and combined (scraping down the sides occasionally).
11. Spread icing over warm slice.
12. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until icing has set.
13. Cut into pieces. Serve.