A yummy alternative to a traditional zucchini slice…. this Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf is the perfect light & healthy meal. And it’s freezer-friendly!
Donna Hay has always been one of my fave celebrity chefs. Not only are her recipes simple and tasty, her food photography is to die for! I can spend hours flicking through her recipe books drooling over all of the gorgeous photos of cakes, cookies, muffins, pastas, salads and everything else in between!
Each Sunday I check out her recipes in the Sunday Magazine of the Herald Sun. A couple of weeks ago she had a recipe for a Zucchini and Sweet Potato Loaf which looked incredibly good. Now considering I had started the day with Triple Chocolate Hot Cross Buns and then eaten a chocolate mint choc-top at the cinemas that afternoon… I was pretty ready for a good dose of vegetables!
I love how simple this loaf is and it’s a nice change from my normal zucchini slice recipe. I served it with a whole heap of fresh greens on the side and felt a whole lot healthier than I did earlier in the day! Hehe 🙂
* Scroll below the recipe for Thermomix instructions!
Donna Hay's Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbs rosemary leaves chopped
- 2 rashers bacon chopped
- 300 g zucchini grated
- 250 g sweet potato peeled and grated
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan I used 1/2 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup cheddar
- 1 cup self raising flour sifted
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 5 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Cook bacon, onion, garlic and rosemary in a frying pan with the olive oil for 4-5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Place into a large bowl.
- Add zucchini, sweet potato, parmesan, flour, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Add the eggs and buttermilk and mix to combine.
- Spoon into a greased loaf tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden and a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Allow to cool slightly.
Zucchini & Sweet Potato Loaf – Thermomix Instructions:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Add bacon and onion to the thermomix bowl and chop for 2 seconds on speed 6.
Add olive oil, rosemary and garlic and cook for 4 minutes, reverse speed 2 on 80 degrees.
Place bacon and onion mix into a bowl and set aside.
Add zucchini and sweet potato to the thermomix bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 6.
Add the parmesan, flour, bacon/onion mix, salt and pepper and mix to combine on reverse speed 3 for 15 seconds.
Add the eggs and buttermilk and mix to combine on reverse speed 3 for 15 seconds.
Spoon into a greased loaf tin lined with baking paper.
Bake for 1 hour or until golden and a skewer comes out clean when tested.
Allow to cool slightly.