Looking for the perfect recipe for Thermomix Cheese and Ham Scrolls??? Then this recipe is for you! Mix and match with different fillings too!
I’m not the hugest bread fan… I mean I don’t mind it, but I don’t absolutely love it. On the other hand, my husband does love bread! So I kinda made these scrolls thinking that I’d be a nice wife more than anything else. That was until I tried them and then proceeded to eat them straight out of the oven, for lunch and for dinner that day. Hmmm…. maybe I wasn’t the best wife in the end! Anyway, the Thermomix Cheese and Ham Scrolls were seriously good! And that’s really saying something given my so-so relationship with bread!
They were so yummy straight out of the oven still warm and cheesy. But I think they were even better later that night cut in half and grilled for a couple of minutes and then topped with a bit of avocado, tomato, salt and pepper!
I made the Thermomix Cheese and Ham Scrolls using the Everyday Cookbook Herb and Garlic Pull-Apart Bread recipe as a base. Instead of topping the dough with the herb and garlic butter, I spread a thin layer of tomato chutney over the top and then added ham and grated cheese. You definitely don’t need a Thermomix to make these scrolls as any basic dough recipe would work perfectly.
From there my nice little (actually huge!) dough rectangle got rolled into a long skinny log and then cut into slices using… wait for it…. dental floss – just make sure it’s not flavoured! The floss cuts the most perfect slices – way better than any knife ever would! From there I lay the scrolls flat in a large round springform pan, starting from the middle and then working my way to the edges. I had way too many scrolls left over so I filled another small pan using the same method.
Finally a bit more cheese was added to the top and the Thermomix Cheese and Ham Scrolls were baked in a 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes. The larger pan took a little longer, but I just waited until they were golden and sounded hollow when tapped.
Anyway, they were super yummy and the only thing I would change next time is that I would halve the recipe. If you were feeding a large family then this amount would be perfect, but our little house had scrolls coming out the windows and doors it seemed… and as good as they were, no-one wants to be eating scrolls forever!!
🙂 Happy Thermomix Cheese and Ham Scrolls makin’…!
Cheese & Ham Scrolls
- 450 g lukewarm water
- 1 tbs dried yeast or 40g fresh yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 750 g plain flour
- 100 g olive oil
- 200 g thinly sliced ham
- 200 g grated cheese
- 4-5 tbs tomato chutney
- To make the dough in the Thermomix follow these instructions, otherwise, make any basic dough recipe according to the instructions:
- Grease a large springform pan and set aside (I also needed a smaller pan for the leftover scrolls).
- Place water, yeast, salt, flour and oil into mixing bowl and mix 6 seconds on speed 6 and then knead for 2 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board and work into a ball.
- Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to prove in a warm spot for 30 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Roll dough into a large rectangle that is 5cm thick.
- Spread over the tomato chutney.
- Add the ham.
- Sprinkle over the cheese (leaving a little to add when the scrolls are in the pan).
- Roll the rectangle into a long log.
- Use dental floss to cut the log into even slices.
- Lay the scrolls cut side down into the pan, starting in the middle and moving your way out towards the edges.
- Set aside to prove for another 10-15 minutes.
- Place in the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until golden on top and hollow when tapped.
- Allow to cool a little in the pan before turning out onto a plate.