This turkey meatloaf is a simple and inexpensive way to enjoy the classic combination of turkey and cranberry. Perfect for Christmas & Thanksgiving!
A roast turkey is such a classic Christmas meal… and it’s definitely my favourite kind of roast! But roast turkeys are expensive! A 1kg turkey breast from the supermarket is around $20 – so it’s not exactly the cheapest option ever. If you’re wanting to save a little bit of money this Christmas then this Turkey Meatloaf is perfect. It’s made with turkey mince so it’s way cheaper, but you still have all the yumminess of that delicious turkey and cranberry flavour combo.
You can also make it ahead of time and reheat it before serving. Or even just serve it cold if it’s a hot day (and given the crazy weather lately it could be super hot – unless you live in Victoria like me, in which case it will probably be raining!). I saw this recipe on Taste.com a few months ago and thought it looked great. I made a few little changes but stayed fairly true to the original recipe.
The thing I love about meatloaf is that you can’t really muck it up. It’s so easy. The grated apple keeps the meatloaf super moist – even if you get distracted and forget it’s in the oven (which I may, or may not have done!). So if you’re looking to save some money this Christmas, this turkey and cranberry meatloaf is a definite winner… and you can spend those savings on something really important – like a new pair of shoes for yourself (which I may, or may not be planning to do).
What are your favourite money saving tips for Christmas?
This recipe is adapted from the original recipe at Taste.com.
- 1kg turkey mince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or 2 tsp of minced garlic)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- ¾ cup dried breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to season
- ¾ cup cranberry sauce, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 if using fan-forced).
- Grease and line a 14cm X 21cm loaf pan with baking paper (making sure that the edges of the paper overhang).
- Mix the turkey mince, egg, onion, apple, garlic, parsley, bread crumbs, salt and pepper together in a large bowl (if using a Thermomix, mix on reverse Speed 3 for 30 seconds or until completely combined).
- Firmly press the meatloaf mixture into the loaf tin.
- Place half of the cranberry sauce into the microwave for 30-60 seconds or until melted and lightly bubbling.
- Gently spread the sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
- Cook for 1 hour or until completely cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and while still warm, melt the remaining sauce and spread over the top.
- Remove the meatloaf from the pan, cut into slices and serve.