Looking for a Thai Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Carrot soup that is absolutely jam-packed with flavour? Look no further than this delicious soup!
With the weather getting a little cooler now, I am starting to get back into soup making. There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup on a cold day! One of my all-time favourite soups is pumpkin soup… it’s such a classic! And this Thai Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and Carrot soup is a nice way to change up the good old favourite!
Anyway, I absolutely love soup. I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m a massive vegetable fan and soup is like getting to eat a gazzilion vegetables in one go! I often say to my husband that I could happily eat just a huge plate of vegetables for dinner… he then looks at me like ‘Who is this strange person? How did I marry such a weirdo?’. So soup is a nice compromise because you still get all the vegetables but it’s super tasty at the same time!
I love that this soup is jam-packed with vegetables but is also bursting with so many yummy flavours and spices. It’s certainly not a boring soup. Whatever you do, make sure you eat it with a nice, crusty roll or slice of bread so that you can wipe the bowl and get all the yummy last bits into your tummy! We had ours with homemade garlic bread… mmmmmmm!
And if you like your pumpkin soup extra creamy then add some coconut cream at the very end.
What’s your favourite type of soup?
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3 cm piece peeled ginger and cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 deseeded red chilli
- Few kaffir lime leaves (or a splash of lime juice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500g pumpkin, peeled and roughly cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: coriander leaves for decoration
- Optional: ½ cup coconut cream
- Add the oil to a large soup pot over low heat.
- Place onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, lime, cumin, coriander, turmeric and paprika into the pot and sauté for about 3 minutes or until onion has softened and spices are aromatic.
- Add pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, stock and fish sauce.
- Simmer for around 30 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Puree the soup.
- Pour into bowls and add coriander leaves (if using).