Now that spring has finally sprung (hehehe sorry I just really love saying that!), it’s all about the healthy salads! And this sweet potato salad with chickpeas, flaked almonds and a creamy tahini and lemon dressing ticks SO many boxes.
First of all, it’s the easiest thing in the world to make. You just roast the sweet potato, pop it into a bowl with some chickpeas, add some flaked almonds for crunch (and some black poppyseeds to make it look pretty) and mix it all together. Pour over a simple lemon, tahini and parsley dressing and you’ve got the making of one super yummy and healthy salad.
The thing I love the most about this salad is that you can serve it warm or cold. It’s completely up to you! On really hot days in summer, I almost always serve it cold, but on those ‘only-kinda-warm’ spring nights, it’s definitely all about the warm salad!
This is such a versatile salad – you can serve it on it’s own, as the perfect partner to your summer BBQ, or even with a piece of grilled salmon on top. Seriously, you’ve got to try this!!
Need some more healthy salad inspiration? Check out my favourite 12 salad recipes here.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 800g sweet potatoes (about 2-3), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 X 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup flaked almonds (toasted or un-toasted)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from approx. 2 lemons)
- 1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tbs tahini
- 3 tbs water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Place the sweet potato onto a baking paper lined tray and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potato is just tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the chickpeas under cold water and place into a large bowl.
- Add the chopped parsley, slightly cooled sweet potato and the poppy seeds to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl or jug, whisk the minced garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, tahini, olive oil and salt and pepper together until smooth and runny.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well to coat.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top and serve.