These Lemon and White Chocolate Chip Cookies really do have it all… the tartness of lemons combined with the sweetness of the white chocolate chips! YUM!
I’m sure by now you probably realise that I am just a little bit obsessed with lemons. In the past I’ve shared my favourite recipes for lemon coconut slice, lemon and poppyseed cake, lemon and blueberry layer cake, lemon blondies, lemon and date slice, lemon glazed strawberry loaf, lemon teacake, lemon tart, and of course my favourite lemon crumble bars – yep so maybe I’m a little more than just a bit obsessed! But while there’s been lots of lemon recipes on the blog, there’s never been a lemon cookie recipe… until today that is!
I’m so excited about this recipe because it involves three of my favourite things… lemons, cookies and of course, chocolate! The lemon zest and extract gives these cookies such a lovely freshness and zing that’s missing in your usual chocolate chip cookies (not that there is anything at all wrong with normal chocolate chip cookies!!!). Whenever I make chocolate chip cookies I like to overload on the chocolate – well they are the best bit, right! And these cookies are no different. I used chocolate chips in the cookie mixture and then popped a few extra on top of each cookie just before they went in the oven.
As with all cookies you definitely don’t want to overcook these ones. There’s nothing better than delicious lemon and white chocolate chip cookies with a lightly golden outside and a soft, chewy centre. Cue mega drools!! So make sure you take these cookies out of the oven as soon as they start to look slightly golden (even if you think they’re a little underdone). This should take about 10-12 minutes, although as always, it will depend a little on your oven! You’ll find that the cookies will continue to cook a tiny bit after you remove them from the oven too.
I wanted my lemon and white chocolate chip cookies to look a little bit yellow to highlight the fact that they were lemon flavoured and so I added the teensiest drop of yellow food colouring (seriously the teensiest drop ever – don’t go splashing in half the bottle unless you want fluro looking cookies!). The food colouring is totally optional though as it doesn’t change the flavour at all. You can see by the photos though that a tiny (TINY!) drop really does add a lovely golden colour. If you do decide to add in a tiny drop and you think it needs more… trust me, it doesn’t! The colour will develop and become more obvious once the cookies are baking. Less is more in this case!
And so there you have it… a super yummy cookie that combines the beautiful tartness of lemons with the sweetness of white chocolate chips. Is there anything better??? As always, you can find the conventional and Thermomix instructions below. Hmm now I feel so conflicted over my love of the traditional chocolate chip cookie and the awesomeness of these brand spanking new lemon and white chocolate chip cookies. I can see that some tough decision making lies ahead next time I feel like a cookie!
- 1⅔ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp bi-carb soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips
- 1 drop yellow food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift and then whisk together the flour, bi-carb soda, salt and cornflour until well combined, set aside.
- In a separate bowl use beater or a stand mixer to cream the butter, caster sugar, brown sugar and lemon zest.
- Add in the egg and then mix through the lemon extract, vanilla extract and one tiny drop of lemon food colouring (please note that the food colouring is optional).
- Continue to mix on low speed while slowly adding in the dry ingredients.
- Mix until combined and then gently stir through 1 cup of the white chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough out into large 2 tablespoon shaped balls and place onto baking paper lined trays, leaving a good distance between each cookie (to allow for spreading I left about a 2 inch gap).
- Press the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips into the tops of the cookie balls.
- Place into the preheated oven for 10 - 12 minutes (don't overcook the cookies - they are ready as soon as they appear slightly golden).
- Cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
Lemon and White Chocolate Chip Cookies – Thermomix Instructions:
1. Place butter, caster sugar, brown sugar and grated lemon zest in TM bowl and cream together for 1 minute on speed 3-4.
2. With TM still running, add the egg through hole in lid, followed by the vanilla extract, lemon extract and yellow food colouring (optional) and continue mixing on speed 3-4 for 30 seconds.
3. Add flour, bi-carb soda, cornflour and salt then knead on interval speed for 30 seconds.
4. Add 1 cup of the chocolate chips, stir through with spatula.
5. Scoop the dough out into large 2 tablespoon shaped balls and place onto baking paper lined trays, leaving a good distance between each cookie (to allow for spreading I left about a 2 inch gap).
6. Press the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into the tops of the cookie balls.
7. Place into the preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes (don’t overcook the cookies – they are ready as soon as they appear slightly golden).
8. Cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
9. Store in an airtight container.