Happy Boxing Day everyone! Did you survive Christmas? I’m writing this post before Christmas (trying to be super organised) and because I know that I’ll have way too much fun on Christmas Day to remember to write this. And anyway, who wants to be writing on Christmas Day? There are way more fun things to do… like eat cheesecake and drink champagne. We’re spending Christmas Day at Mum’s house this year. It’s so nice to not have far to travel and to only have to go to one place. AND I only need to take dessert… yay!
Anyway, I know that we will have heaps of leftovers. We always do. As much as you try not to overdo the food, it just always seems to happen! I love leftovers for the first day or two and then get so totally over them. So I’ll be making another one of these Leftover Roast Turkey Pizzas on Boxing Day… before I go into turkey overload and refuse to eat it again for a few months!
This is the perfect lazy Boxing Day lunch or dinner. Whether you’re watching the cricket, spending the day relaxing, hitting the beach, or heading to another Christmas party, this scrummy yummy pizza will be calling your name when you arrive home tonight! It’s so simple and really tasty. It’s light enough to shake off that Christmas food coma from yesterday but is packed with flavour.
For the base, you could always make a traditional pizza base, but for Boxing Day, I think it’s kinda nice to keep things light. So I used flatbreads for the base. You could also use wraps… or even a few halved English muffins if you’re feeding a crowd.
To make this pizza simply spread BBQ sauce over 2 flatbreads (increase the number of pizzas if you have a few people around – each pizza serves approximately 2 people – depending of course on how hungry you are!). Then chop your leftover turkey into cubes, grate some cheese, finely chop a red onion and drain a tin of pineapple chunks. If you’ve got some fresh pineapple leftover from Christmas, then that will work beautifully too.
Pop the turkey, onion and pineapple onto the pizza bases and sprinkle over the cheese. Pop into the oven and cook for 8 minutes. Take out of the oven, squeeze over a little extra BBQ sauce and then pop back into the oven for an additional 2 minutes. Cook until the base is crispy and the turkey is heated through.
Slice the pizza and enjoy! This really is a super yummy, family-friendly way to use up those leftovers that you KNOW you’re inevitably going to end up with. I highly recommend following this up with a bowl of leftovers desserts… just a little, teensy-weensy spoonful of each one! I hope you had a beautiful Christmas! Pop back tomorrow for a yummy and light wrap recipe using Christmas leftover turkey or ham.
- 2 flatbreads
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (3/4 cup for spreading over the base and ¼ cup for drizzling over near the end)
- 3 cups leftover roast turkey, cut into cubes
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (or mozzarella)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (if using the tinned variety, make sure you drain it well)
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celsius (or 200 degrees if using a fan forced oven).
- Spread the flatbreads with the ¾ cup of BBQ sauce (reserving the remaining ¼ cup for later).
- Chop the leftover turkey into cubes and pop onto the flatbreads.
- Add the thinly chopped red onion and the drained pineapple chunks.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese and cook for 8 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and drizzle over the remaining BBQ sauce.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes or until the base is crispy and the turkey is heated through.
- Cut into slices and serve.