A good old butterscotch sauce is just one of those things that you need in your life. It’s the perfect thing for drizzling over desserts, pouring over the top of ice cream… or maybe just eating a sneaky teaspoon or two on it’s own. This Easy Butterscotch Sauce has only 4 ingredients (or 5 if you include the optional sea salt… which is optional, but totally necessary in my opinion!!).
It will take you less than 10 minutes to make this yummy little sauce – which is absolutely nothing! It will seriously take you longer to decide which of your favourite desserts you’re going to drizzle it over.
If I had to choose my favourite dessert to have with this butterscotch sauce (which can I just say, is really, really hard to do!!), I think I’d have to say:
- Apple Crumble
- Classic Apple Pie
- Sticky Date Pudding
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Pecan Pie
- Chocolate Nutella Brownies
See I told you it was a hard choice!
If you’re a really lovely friend, then why not whip up a big double batch, pour it into cute glass jars and give them to your friends as a delicious little DIY gift. Perfect for birthdays and Christmas… especially when your friends love sweets (and lets face it – who on earth doesn’t!!).
Being the little time-saver I like to be, I’ll usually make a batch of this butterscotch sauce and pop it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last up to 5 days. Then it’s just a matter of scooping a bit out (it will go hard as it sets), popping it into the microwave to reheat and then sloshing it over your dessert. Yum!
- 150g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 1 ½ cup (265g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes (optional)
- Place the butter, cream, brown sugar, vanilla essence and sea salt (optional) into a small saucepan.
- Melt over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Or alternatively, if you're using a Thermomix, place all ingredients into the TM bowl and cook on Varoma, Speed 3 for 8 minutes – scraping down the sides halfway through cooking.