This Broccoli, Bacon & Cranberry Salad with a creamy honey mustard dressing is deliciously fresh and tasty! The perfect side salad to your meal!
Scroll down to the bottom of this post for my favourite Broccoli, Bacon & Cranberry Salad recipe!
Argh! Can you believe that it’s nearly Christmas. I swear this whole week I’ve been going through moments when I feel super organised and then suddenly I have moments when I feel totally disorganised (like when I was writing out Christmas cards in the car on the way to a Christmas lunch!!). Anyway, if you checked out last weeks Fabulous Foodie Fridays party, you would certainly know that Christmas is nearly here… there were SO many yummy Christmas recipes.
Here’s a few of my faves from last week:
First up if this super delish looking Chocolate Fudge from Cooking in the Chaos. Check out the Turkish Delight, Mint Crisp and macadamia nut toppings. This one is designed for the Thermomix, but could easily be adapted using this easy recipe from Taste.com.
Emily from Have A Laugh On Me runs the funniest blog in Australia. I love how her White Christmas with Gummy Bears and Pistachios proves you don’t have to love cooking to be able to make something super yummy for Christmas! (PS – if you’re after a giggle, I highly recommend signing up to her weekly newsletter… it’s seriously one of the funniest things going round).
I’m a total sucker for anything cute, so these Reindeer Cookies from The Annoyed Thyroid just had to be in my faves list this week. If you’re planning on doing some baking with kids over Christmas, these would be perfect.
Now pop over and check out Lauren’s yummy picks too.
How to make my favourite Broccoli, Bacon & Cranberry Salad….
This week I’m sharing one of my favourite salad recipes (and it’s also a great one for Christmas Day!). It’s an absolute classic and is really healthy (so you can totally justify that second slice of pav). Yep, it’s my Broccoli, Bacon & Cranberry Salad. See how it’s red and green… that makes it totally Christmassy right!?
I love this salad because you can prep it ahead of time and then add the dressing just before serving. Which means you can kick back and enjoy the festivities without having to race around the kitchen getting all flustered… mind you, that could very well still happen!
Now if you prefer, you can always make this salad using raw broccoli. I personally love broccoli but can’t stand it raw, so I cook it just for a minute. This way it still stays crunchy, but doesn’t have that real raw flavour. If you’re like me and prefer cooked broccoli just make sure you only cook it ever so slightly and then drain it really well (you don’t want a soggy salad!).
To save on dishes, cook the bacon in a frying pan and when it’s nice and crispy remove it from the pan and add the pine nuts and sunflower seeds and cook for a minute or until just golden. A word of warning: watch those little pine nuts because they’ll cook really quickly! Meanwhile finally chop a red onion. To make the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, honey and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
When the bacon, pine nuts and seeds are ready, pop them into a serving bowl with the drained broccoli and the red onion. Add in the dried cranberries and give them all a toss. If you’re serving the salad immediately, drizzle over the dressing and mix to combine well. If you’re preparing the salad ahead of time, simply add the dressing just before serving.
So that’s it, this broccoli, bacon & cranberry salad really is perfect for Christmas… or a summer BBQ… or really anytime of the year!
- 2 heads of fresh broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 8 slices shortcut bacon
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pinenuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries (craisins)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs wholegrain mustard
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Chop the broccoli into small florets and place into a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the broccoli and leave for 1 minute.
- Drain the broccoli thoroughly so that there is no excess moisture.
- Chop the shortcut bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan over medium heat with the olive oil.
- When the bacon is crispy remove it and add the sunflower seeds and pine nuts to the pan.
- Cook for one minute or until the nuts and seeds have just started to turn golden.
- Finely chop the red onion and set aside.
- Place the broccoli, pine nuts, bacon, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and red onion into a large serving bowl.
- Mix the mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, honey and lemon juice in a bowl.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to combine.
PS – Have you bought our Christmas Homemade Gifts eBook yet? It’s packed full of everything from sauces and condiments, to cookies and biscuits, slices and bars, and of course, all your classic favourite – there really is something to suit everyone! Click here to buy your copy for $7.99 (or if you subscribe to Bake Play Smile you can purchase it for only $3.99! And I promise I won’t email you any junk… just yummy recipes!!).
Lauren from Create Bake Make & Lucy from Bake Play Smile have put their chocolate filled minds together, to bring you the newest and yummiest link up party in town…. Fabulous Foodie Fridays.
The rules for the party are simple:
1. Please only link up food or drink related posts. You can share up to 3 posts each week. They don’t have to be recent posts, but please make them new to the ‘Fabulous Foodie Fridays’ party.
2. Simply add your links and they will automatically show up on both of our blogs… it’s that easy!
3. It’s sooo not a party without mingling…. please visit and comment on at least three other links that are near you in the list.
4. Follow us on social media so you can keep up to date with all the Fabulous Foodie Fridays goss!
5. Feel free to grab the Fabulous Foodie Fridays button and share the love around!
6. Leave a comment below so we know that you came and partied with us – we want to return the favour and visit you too.
* By adding your link, you are giving Bake Play Smile and Create Bake Make permission to post one photo from your post with a link back to the full recipe for party features and future roundups on our blogs and possibly share your image and link on social media. Oh and of course we will also let you know about upcoming Fabulous Foodie Fridays link parties!