Packed with deliciously fresh ingredients, Mum’s Baby Spinach, Prosciutto, Feta & Roast Pumpkin Salad is sure to be a hit at your next summer BBQ!
This is quite literally the BEST salad ever. And I can say that because it’s not even my recipe. It’s my Mum’s… and I swear that she has completely perfected it over the years! The salad has so many yummy things in it – I couldn’t even include them in the title!!! Basically, you just layer everything on, drizzle over a bit of dressing and then serve it up. It looks amazing, but geez it’s easy.
Whenever I make this salad at home, I say to Dave that I’m making ‘Mum’s salad’ and he knows exactly which one I’m talking about. But if all else fails, I just add ‘you know, the one with all the yummy stuff’ and then it’s just a given that I’m talking about this one.
So what exactly is in Mum’s salad?
- baby spinach
- roast pumpkin
- cherry tomatoes
- sun-dried tomatoes
- oh and Mum usually toasts some pine nuts to sprinkle over the top… but I forgot to do it this time and only realised when it was too late!! Ooopsies! (Sometimes I use pepitas instead of pine nuts because you don’t need to toast them AND they’re cheaper).
You can, of course, add any other yummy little bits and pieces you like, or leave out anything you’re not a fan of. But oh my gosh, trust me when I say that this really is the best salad ever. By lordy, it’s good! Make it for your next BBQ and you’ll be as happy as a pig in mud. OR you could make it on Christmas Day and totally wow your family. Hint, hint Mum…
This makes quite a big salad, but don’t get too stressed about having exactly the right amount of each ingredient. It’s one of those fabulous salads where you really can’t go wrong. You just throw in all of the deliciously fresh ingredients and know it’s going to taste amazing (hey, it’s doesn’t even matter if you forget an ingredient… ooopsies again!).
- 200g baby spinach
- ½ pumpkin, cubed
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 100g pitted kalamata olives
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 100g prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs pine nuts, lightly toasted (or use pepitas instead)
- Balsamic glaze, to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Place the pumpkin cubes onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and cook for 15-20 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the prosciutto in a frying pan over medium heat until just crispy.
- Set aside to cool.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in the same frying pan and then set aside.
- To assemble the salad, place the baby spinach onto a large serving plate or bowl.
- Top with the cooked pumpkin, chopped avocado, cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and olives.
- Break the prosciutto up and sprinkle over the top.
- Crumble over the feta and then add the pine nuts.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze (or you can simply use a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper).